Good news everyone, Sony have moved forward the launch date of the PlayStation 5… media remote! According to Simply Games, Sony have pushed forward the release date for all the PlayStation 5 accessories apart from the DualSense controller.
In a bizarre twist in this already bizarre situation, PlayStation®5 Accessories, apart from the controller, have had their release date brought forward to November 12th.
— SimplyGames 🎃 (@SimplyGames) October 12, 2020
This means the PlayStation 5 camera, media remote, and headphones will launch on November 12th, the same day the PlayStation 5 launches in the United States, but you will have to wait for a week until the 19th before the console is released in the UK.
Sony recently updated the PlayStation 5 FAQ and revealed that if you have bought one of those snazzy new HD cameras for the PlayStation 5 you won’t be able to use for your PlayStation 4 VR games.
The HD Camera is not compatible with PS4 games – please connect a PlayStation Camera via a PlayStation®Camera adaptor.
The old PS4 camera runs at 720p, the new one is 1080p and and includes new feature such as background removal. PlayStation VR owners are going to have swap the cameras out, the old PS4 camera to play any existing PSVR games, and then back to the PS5 camera if they want to broadcast or play any future PSVR games that, presumably, will work with the new camera and take advantage of the higher definition.
Sony state, the “overwhelming majority” of PS4 games will still work and many of them will benefit from the added power of the new console. The PS5’s Game Boost feature will make select PS4 games run at higher or smoother frame rates, and seems to be applied across the board.
However, that comes with some caveats and advisories:
- Some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
- Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
- Please note, playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PlayStation VR headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required).
- Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.
There are ten titles that Sony have noted will not work on PlayStation 5, for whatever reason. These games will be labelled in the PlayStation Store as only being compatible with PS4, and are as follows:
- Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2
- Just Deal With It!
- Shadow Complex Remastered
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Joe’s Diner