It’s been a monumental week in the video game industry as the ‘next gen’ finally becomes ‘this gen’. That is unless, you’re a PlayStation fan living in Europe and still have a tantalising wait for your PS5 console.
As many of us look jealously upon our friends across the pond and around the world play with their shiny new toys, let’s recap everything that happened this week.
In the News This Week
- Xbox Series X|S launch biggest in Xbox history, announces Microsoft
- GAME will have limited stock of PlayStation 5 consoles for sale on launch day, but online only
- PS5 FAQ: Sony might let your store PS5 games on an external drive in future, no Dolby Vision or Atmos support
- Marvel’s Spider-Man on PS4 to be patched to allow you to use your saves with PS5 remastered version
- The Nioh Collection is coming to PS5 in February
- Bugsnax is out and free to download if you have PlayStation Plus
- Ghost of Tsushima sales pass 5 million milestone
- Take-Two’s deal to buy Codemasters likely to be completed in early 2021
- Microids and Playmagic issue apology over XIII remake
- Deathloop’s May 2021 release date revealed by PlayStation New Zealand
- Blood & Truth PS5 enhancements are ready and they will include up to 90fps
Games in Review
It was a strong start to the new generation, but we didn’t get time to explore everything we wanted to in some of the launch day titles. Stay tuned for the full reviews, but here’s our initial thoughts:
- Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla – PS5, PS4, XSX, XSS, XBO, PC, Stadia
- Demon’s Souls – PS5
- Godfall – PS5, PC
And here’s our full reviews:
- Bugsnax – PS5, PS4, PC – 9/10
- Planet Coaster: Console Edition – PS4, PS5, XBO, XSX, XSS – 9/10
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition – PS5, XSX, XSS – 9/10
- The Pathless – PS5, PS4, PC, iOS – 9/10
- No More Heroes – NSW – 9/10
- Gears Tactics – XSX, XSS, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure – PS5, PS4 – 7/10
- Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin – PS4, PC, NSW – 7/10
- Monster Prom XXL – PS4, XBO, PC, NSW – 7/10
- Drone Swarm – PC – 7/10
- Rune II: Decapitation Edition – PC – 7/10
- Strobophagia: Rave Horror – PC – 6/10
- Bright Memory – XSX, XSS, PC – 5/10
- Asterix & Obelix XXL Romastered – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 4/10
And from the hardware side of things, we had a gaming keyboard review
All of those reviews might be a little overwhelming, and we don’t blame you – that’s why Nic has spent some time answering the question many of you will be asking: what are the best PS5 games at launch?
If you’re itching to get your hands on the new Assassin’s Creed, then Adrian has been speaking to some experts to see just how accurate Ubisoft have portrayed the Viking era, while Reuben had a look at Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, a “fantastic” spin off.
Finally, What We Played included plenty of next-gen gaming with Demon’s Souls, Gears Tactics & Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- hornet1990 went back two generations, giving Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon a whirl on PS3.
- Valhalla will be the focus of Crazy_Del‘s weekend, who’s also just 1 trophy away from the platinum in Watchdogs.
- willbuchanan started Far Cry 5, and is already put off by those pesky online trophies.
- Another member revisiting their PS3 was tactical20
- Andrewww is looking forward to Thursday, but can’t decide between Demon’s Souls, the Pathless, Spider-Man, or something else!
- When even MrYd says “too many things” you know he had a busy week! EA Play is offering him loads of new games including Fallen Order and Rocket Arena. Meanwhile from PS Now, he tried out Vermintide 2 and Rage 2.
Have a good weekend and I’ll see you in the new generation!