Oddworld Inhabitants released a brand new trailer for Oddworld: Soulstorm during The Game Awards, with the footage showing some new shots of gameplay which looked rather nice. The trailer was not just used to give us more of a glimpse at Oddworld: Soulstorrm but to also confirm a release window for Abe’s newest adventure. That release window is Spring 2021 when the game will be released for PS5, PS4. and PC via Epic Games Store.
Oddworld: Soulstorm was originally announced in 2016 during GDC. In 2017 the title sequence was released for Oddworld: Soulstorm. However, it wasn’t until this year that a cinematic teaser was released, followed by a gameplay teaser. The game itself is a reimagining of 1998’s Oddworld: Abe’s Exodus but is also a sequel to Oddworld New N Tasty, which itself was a remake of Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee. In the press release Oddworld Inhabitants announced that a playthrough of the Oddworld: Soulstorm would take around 15 hours, but if you want to discover all of the game’s secrets then you can dozens of hours to get everything. The features of the game include:
- Narrative: A dark storyline with a twisted sense of humor that shines a light on the ironies that exist in the human condition.
- 2.9D: Epic environments with massive scale to explore by going into the world, rather than being limited to the traditional side scrolling platformer sense.
- Quarma (think Karma): Quarma is a real time feedback feature that reflects your actions in the game and will influence Abe, his followers, his abilities, and your score throughout the game.
- Scavenger’s Economy: Pickpocket enemies, loot lockers, sift through trash cans to acquire resources. Exchange them at vending machines to get products that give you more agency in how you chose to conquer the game’s many challenges.
- Crafting: Use scavenged resources and vending machine products to craft items to use as weapons or tools against characters and obstacles.
- Strength in Numbers: The more followers you save, the stronger the uprising becomes. Gift crafted items to followers. It’s up to you to decide whether they will be aggressive or passive.
- Leaderboards: All levels offer a tallying system, leaderboards, achievements, and badges.
Source: Press Release