LEGO has had some big collaborations with the games industry with the most obvious being the LEGO titles by TT Games, including LEGO Star Wars, as well as the short lived toys to life LEGO Dimensions. There have also been sets based on franchises released including Mario. However, Mario will now not be the only classic gaming character that will get the colourful brick treatment. LEGO has confirmed that it will be producing a Sonic The Hedgehog set based on Green Hill Zone. The product was pitched through the LEGO Ideas initiative allowing people to submit ideas for future lines. LEGO will work with submitter Viv and SEGA. Concept art can be found here.
According to the original project page this LEGO set would feature:
- “Classic” Sonic the Hedgehog minifigure
- “Classic” Dr Eggman, Motobug and three Flickies as brick-built figures
- Heavy Gunner and Heavy Magician as brick-built figures (new!)
- Green Hill Zone “Palm Tree”, “Spring”, “Bridge and “Loop” modules
- Egg Robot mech
- Phantom Ruby and Ring accessories
- ~700 pieces, with 8 new prints (excluding minifigure parts) and a sticker sheet
This would be a modular set allowing builders to experiment with reconfiguring Green Hill Zone, allowing for different takes on the iconic Sonic level. As this has only just been confirmed do not expect the set to be out in the near future, but it could open the door to more collaborations between LEGO and SEGA.
Source: LEGO IDEAS