It’s the biggest weekend of the year so far for sports fans, with the usual slate of football matches joined by the cricket test matches (aired on terrestrial for the first time in forever), the start of the rugby Six Nations, and the Super Bowl for people that can stay up late on Sunday night.
Let the ‘Superb Owl’ jokes commence!
In the News This Week
- Google Stadia is shutting down their internal game studios
- Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker revealed – PS5 open beta is coming in April
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition graphics comparison, gameplay changes & more detailed
- 4.5 million PS5s shipped in 2020, as Sony predict best ever year for PlayStation
- Total War: Warhammer III will complete the epic grand strategy trilogy in late 2021
- Embracer Group buys Gearbox, Aspyr Media, and Easybrain – 2K Games comment [updated]
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake delayed again
- Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 won’t launch in 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie remaster leaks with a March release for Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One
- EA College Football game is coming, but what does this mean for NCAA players?
- The next Battlefield game will be out this Christmas, reveal this Spring
- Resident Evil Village’s sexy vampire lady is almost 3m tall (in heels)
Games in Review
There was another healthy slate of reviews for this week, including the PS5 remaster and PC release of Nioh 2 and Destruction AllStars, which is making a splash on PlayStation Plus.
- Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition – PS5, PS4, PC – 9/10
- Habroxia 2 – 9/10
- Helheim Hassle – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- Turrican Flashback – PS4, NSW – 8/10
- Sword of the Necromancer – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Destruction AllStars – PS5 – 6/10
- Landflix Odyssey – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 6/10
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 5/10
Skimming through the rest of the features, and ahead of its release, we caught up with Lucid Games and XDEV to discuss Destruction AllStars’ origins.
Nick had a look at the Resident Evil Re:Verse Beta, pondering if its monster mayhem can make an essential multiplayer mode instead of a short throwaway experience, while Tom went hands on with Valheim in Early Access, which he felt was a survival game with a rare sense of purpose.
I previewed Maskmaker, which is set to be another inventive VR puzzler from the maskers of A Fisherman’s Tale, before pondering what is it Google and Amazon don’t understand about gaming?
While he was rather wrong in the end, Reuben took a stab at guessing what the next Final Fantasy XIV expansion would bring to the table. Turns out it’s even wilder than he thought!
And rounding things out, What We Played featured Destruction AllStars, Control: Ultimate Edition & Persona 5 Strikers.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- Would you believe that Crazy_Del has already bagged the Destruction AllStars platinum? Well he has!
- doomsday619 completed the DLC Beowulf Mission in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, played some COD Zombies in splitscreen with his sons, has been working his way through Hitman 3 on PSVR, and ramming it up in Destruction AllStars as well. Busy week!
- It was Concrete Genie and Control (on PS4) for MrYd, with some Darksiders Genesis from PS Now, “too much” Hitman 3 in VR, and a quick dash to grab the “5 level 50 characters” trophy in Hunt: Showdown.
- After 55 hours spent in Night City, TSBonyman feels the game is “all going to be over too soon”, so he’s branching off to do a bunch of side missions to savour the rest of it.
- Andrewww is on his second run of Resident Evil 2, finding its difficulty quite surprising!
That’s all for this week’s gaming round-up. As always, have fun at home, stay safe if and when you’re out, and we’ll see you next week.