Tandem: A Tale of Shadows is the new game from Developer Monochrome and publisher Hatinh Interactive and it features a cleaver twist on puzzling. The game finds you controlling Emma, a stubborn young fan of magic shows, and Fenton, a rather creepy teddy bear. Fenton lives in the shadows while Emma is in the ‘real world’ and you must puzzle and platform your way through the story which is seen from two different points.
It’s much easier to see what that means than me try to explain it, so check out the trailer.
The plot concerns Thomas, the only son of the Kanes, a famous magicians couple from the late 19th century in London, who has vanished, and Emma and Fenton, Thomas’ teddy, must discover where the child has gone.
“With Tandem, our ambition is to evolve the puzzle platformer genre through immersive storytelling, jaw-dropping production values, and thought-provoking gameplay,” says JB Grasset, CEO and co-founder at Monochrome Paris. “We can’t wait to captivate players later this year.”
As ever, here are those ever so important key features:
- Stunning Art Direction – Discover a playful and frightening universe inspired by Jules Vernes, Conan Doyle, Tim Burton and Victorian era architecture. Each dimension in Tandem feels like a German expressionist or Dutch golden age art piece brought to life.
- Clever Puzzles – Solve 45 puzzles and obstacles in order to unravel the mystery surrounding Thomas Kane’s disappearance. Overcome vicious spiders and creepy clowns, etc
- Dual Gameplay – Swap perspectives between Emma and Fenton. Light up the scene and cast shadows as Emma from a top-down view. Walk on shadows projected by Emma’s lantern from Fenton’s side-scroller view.
- Fight With Strategy – Players will face mechanical toy-like enemies and bosses throughout each dimension. Since Emma cannot attack, fans must rely on their wit to move forward.
- Narrative-Driven Adventure – Gather clues hidden in the game’s worlds to learn more about Emma, Fenton the teddy bear and Thomas’ disappearance.
- Diverse Mechanics – Push or pull objects to create shadows. Use alarms and traps to your advantage. Tandem features a variety of interactive elements to keep players on their toes.
Tandem: A Tale of Shadows will launch for PC, Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this year.
Source: Press release