Activision has released a set of updates for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Warzone that actually manages to make the two games smaller! You can save between 10.9GB and 14.2GB for Warzone, and 30.6GB to 33.6GB for systems where both Warzone and Modern Warfare are installed.
The reduction in size is largely dependent on platform, as follows:
- PlayStation 5: 10.9 GB (Warzone Only) / 30.6 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
- PlayStation 4: 10.9 GB (Warzone Only) / 30.6 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
- Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S: 14.2 GB (Warzone Only) / 33.6 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
- Xbox One: 14.2 GB (Warzone Only) / 33.6 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
- PC: 11.8 GB (Warzone Only) / 30.6 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
They’ve managed to pull this off by using a nifty developer trick called “optimization”, which I’m sure storage starved gamers wish the developers had tried a little bit sooner. I’m being pretty sardonic about this, of course, but the ballooning size of Modern Warfare, Warzone and Black Ops Cold War has been a real problem, and it’s a shame that Activision had not prioritised this before it got so out of control. The one meaningful concession came last year when they started to let users uninstall different parts of the game that were going unused. They even released extra high definition content packs, just in case you wanted to make the games even bigger.
In order to get to the lower, optimised file size, users will have to download a larger than usual update for Season Two Reloaded – this was made available a few hours ago. The update for Warzone will seemingly include the optimisation for that game mode and core game files, however, the Modern Warfare package will need users to reinstall newly optimised Content Packs for Campaign, Multiplayer and Special Ops to continue playing those. They should be available now, or some time soon.
The Warzone update sizes are massive, because of this:
- PlayStation 5: 52.0 GB
- PlayStation 4: 52.0 GB
- Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S: 57.8 GB
- Xbox One: 57.8 GB
- PC: 52.4 GB (Warzone Only) / 133.6 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, meanwhile, will not be getting smaller, as more content is thrown into the game. There are three new multiplayer maps, three new multiplayer modes, a new region for Outbreak, new Operators, a new weapon and Prop Hunt is returning as a mode.
Source: Call of Duty