Rebellion upgrading Zombie Army 4: Dead War for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S this week, just as the game is hot-dropped into PlayStation Plus and Xbox Game Pass. The game will have higher frame rates, higher resolutions and reduced loading times on the newer platforms.
The updates are going live today, 6th April, on PlayStation and on Thursday 8th April for Xbox.
Here’s the details of what each platform can expect for their game resolutions:
- PlayStation 5 – Dynamic 4K at 60fps
- Xbox Series X – Dynamic 4K at 60fps ‘Quality Mode’, 1080p at 120fps ‘Performance Mode’
- Xbox Series S – Dynamic 1080p at 60fps
What’s particularly interesting here is that these are not full native upgrades to the game – we have confirmed there’s no PS5 version coming to the PlayStation Store – but are instead coming as game updates. These have been common on Xbox Series X|S to add higher resolution and frame rate targets, even up to 120fps, but have been largely limited to first party games on PlayStation. Zombie Army 4 on PS4 Pro has a 30fps quality mode and 60fps performance mode, and in a straightforward update to the game, Rebellion are adding a single 4K 60fps mode that gives the best of both.
Because it’s a game update, this means that even if you grab the game from PS Plus and Xbox Game Pass, it will still be enhanced on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. No fussing with generation specific versions.
This comes alongside a bug fix and feature update that does the following with version 1.28:
- Balance changes have been applied to mission, Death Canal
- Cross-platform multiplayer added for Windows 10 Store with Steam and Epic
- New music, combat pieces and general gameplay pieces added across all platforms
- Fixes applied to Damnation Valley to address issues raised with The Fan Service Challenge and with characters getting stuck in the Scaffolding Area
- In chapter 4 of Deeper than Hell, ‘Stop Schweiger Completing The Occult Engine’ objective will now update after killing all the zombies present in the area
- In chapter 4 of Alpine Blitz, players can no longer get stuck inside carriages
- On Xbox, cut scene audio issues fixed in Deeper than Hell
- General bug fixing and improvements
Zombie Army 4 recently wrapped up Season Pass 2, a second DLC campaign added to the game after release. Still, there’s plenty of zombie shooting in the base game. We had a grand old time with our Zombie Army 4: Dead War review when it came out back in February 2020. With new player abilities and weapon mods, alongside more refined level design, I said:
“If you like shooting zombies with friends, then Zombie Army 4: Dead War is the game for you. There’s a few new twists and several layers of progression now thrown into the mix, as you battle undead Nazis once again, but this is classic undead sniping action through and through.”