Blizzard have announced that cross platform play is coming to Overwatch thanks to a new update to Battle.net. As an incentive to start fighting across platforms everyone who logs in to Overwatch by the end of 2021 will receive a Golden Loot Box to celebrate.
If you are currently playing on a console then you will need to prepare for cross-play by creating a Battle.net account, PC players will already have one so do not need to do anything. Pay attention because even if you do not plan to use cross-play, you will still need to follow the steps below to continue playing the game.
Here’s what you need to do:
Prepare Your Account
All console players will be required to make a Battle.net account and link it to their console (Xbox, PSN, Nintendo) account. PC players do not need to take this step – You already have a Battle.net account. Upon launching the game, you will be prompted to link your console account to a Battle.net account. Follow the steps below to create a Battle.net account, then link your console game account to your Battle.net account.
Creating a Battle.net Account
- Visit Battle.net
- Create a free Battle.net account
- Once you create your Battle.net account, go to your Account Settings
- Click on the “Connections” section under Account Settings and link your console
Linking Your Console Game and Battle.net AccountsThese instructions apply to the in-game steps console players will need to take once Cross-Play is available.
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at blizzard.com/link
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies that your account is now successfully connected
The FAQ reveals that progress and collection content will not carry over between sessions on different systems which is a bit rubbish. It has also been stated that cross-play will be enabled for all game modes with an exception for Competitive games. Competitive players will be split into two pools depending on the system that they are playing on: 1) Console players, and 2) PC players. For balance purposes, PC players and console players will not be mixed in the same pool for competitive matches.
Cross-play is currently in beta but does not have a full release date yet.