I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to a rather relaxed weekend. The weather’s a bit naff, so my to-do list has things like “Watch the last Lions test”, “Play the Back 4 Blood beta” and “Admire the new leaf on my cheese plant” on it.
We’ll have some thoughts and impressions on Back 4 Blood soon, but that’s far from the only thing that’s happened in video games this week. Let’s dive into this week’s round-up of gaming news, reviews and everything else.
In the News This Week
- Report: More PSVR 2 details emerge with HDR OLED display & AAA games focus
- Sony on target to ship 22.6 million PlayStation 5s by April 2022
- Activision Blizzard sued by shareholders, as staff form ABK Workers Alliance
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends standalone release will add new Rivals mode
- Oxenfree II and Carrion are both coming to PlayStation
- Manchester United gets a new name for Football Manager 22 after trade mark dispute
- Riders Republic beta kicks off in 2 weeks, sign up now
- Focus Home acquires retro game specialists Dotemu
- Insurgency: Sandstorm Xbox One and PS4 release confirmed for September
Games in Review
There were some highs and lows through our week of video game reviews:
- Black Book – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- Fuga: Melodies of Steel – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny – NSW – 7/10
- Dodgeball Academia – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- The Witcher: Monster Slayer – iOS, Android – 6/10
- Cotton Reboot – PS4, NSW – 6/10
- Fallen Knight – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC, iOS – 4/10
We started off the week with two significant previews. On the one hand, I went hands on with the Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) to see just how big a difference it actually makes for video games. I also spent last weekend playing an awful lot of Halo Infinite, recounting what we learned from the technical preview.
From one multiplayer game to another, Jim dove into the latest battle royale and asked is Hunter’s Arena: Legends worth playing? That contrasts with Tom’s preview of the thoroughly wholesome Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan.
Finally, What We Played featured GRIME, Black Book and Hunter’s Arena: Legends
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd finished off Doom Eternal and its DLC on PS5 before diving into the new PS Plus games. Hunter’s Arena: Legends is “fun, but the controls are a bit odd” while Tennis World Tour 2 was not so great… Lastly, the pick of his sale purchases seems to have been Generation Zero.
- ron_mcphatty has been hammering away at the 2019 GRID, but got far, far more enjoyment out of the puzzles in Train Valley 2.
- Something about Star Wars Squadrons still hasn’t clicked for hornet1990.
- TSBonyman was thoroughly unimpressed by the tutorial in TWT2, which seems most concerned with telling you how to buy cards.
- And willbuchanan secured the platinum for Borderlands 3 and is now working toward the 100%.
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up. As always, have fun at home, stay safe if and when you’re out, and we’ll see you next week.