I feel it’s been a relatively subdued week in video games, which you might want to call the calm before the storm. Certainly it’s been a quiet week in terms of putting new games onto our plates, and while there’s also been some key release date announcements for upcoming releases, the biggest news of the week came from EA Motive’s first public glimpse and details of Dead Space.
Aside from that? I hope you like waiting, whether it’s waiting just a few days for the hopefully rather exciting PlayStation Showcase this coming week, or waiting for all the big games due out in the next few months to be ready to play.
In the News This Week
- EA Motive give more details on Dead Space, including who will voice Isaac
- Standard and Special editions of Horizon Forbidden West do not include a PS4 to PS5 upgrade
- The PlayStation Showcase 2021 will be broadcast next Thursday
- Hood: Outlaws and Legends Season One: Samhain is live
- eFootball 2022 launches September 30th
- No Man’s Sky Frontiers update lets you be the Overseer to an alien settlement
- Crysis Remastered Trilogy releases in October
- Dirt 5 update 6.00 and Wild Spirits content pack add more tracks, vehicles and events
And the much anticipated freebies for September have been announced:
Games in Review
As we step into what we can start to call the “Holiday” season, we’ve got a couple of the traditional yearly releases to check in on this week.
- WRC 10 – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- Madden NFL 22 – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Aliens: Fireteam Elite – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Recompile – PS5, XSX|S, PC – 6/10
Stepping away from the reviews, we took a good look at some upcoming games. I got to take a look at the compelling dark fantasy world of Lost in Random, sampling the intriguing mix of action RPG, random dice rolls and deck building.
Meanwhile, Jim played Far Cry 6, pondering just how big a revolution for the long-running series the game could be, and Steve sampled an hour of The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes, finding glimpses in the dark and a further refinement of Supermassive’s take on the horror genre.
Finally, What We Played featured WRC 10, Days Gone and No More Heroes 3.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- willbuchanan has been trying to play Monster Hunter World, but only in brief spells in and around grabbing platinum trophies for Edna and Harvey: The Breakout, Edna and Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes, Drowning, Memory Lane, Memory Lane 2 and Chickens On The Road and Storm Boy. Who does he think he is earning so many trophies? Crazy_Del?!
- Andrewww cleared Batman: The Telltale Series from his backlog and rather enjoyed the story. Another easy platinum trophy to grab.
- And MrYd made it through to the fourth boss of Hades, adding “new complications to make it even more fun.” Civilization 6 also tempted him from the sale, so expect that to consume him over the next few aeons.
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up. As always, have fun at home, stay safe if and when you’re out, and we’ll see you next week.