A huge expansion is coming to Monster Hunter Rise for Nintendo Switch and PC next year, with Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak promising an all-new storyline, new monsters, new locations, gameplay and more for the game in Summer 2022.
As you can see from the trailer, the game will seemingly be taking you to a dark new locale, bathed in deep reddish purple hues. It almost feels like something you’d see in a Soulslike.
Capcom seem to be taking a similar approach to Monster Hunter Rise as they did Monster Hunter World. That game saw its own big expansion release in the form of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, which brought with it a huge amount of new content and things to do.
The disappointing thing for fans of the series is that this game will seemingly remain a Nintendo Switch and PC exclusive for the foreseeable future. Where World brought the series to the huge audience of home console gamers across PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Rise reverted back to type and Capcom (perhaps with a little persuasion from Nintendo) returned the series to its traditional home on a handheld. Well, a hybrid handheld, anyway.
Given the stratospheric success of World, this decision obviously left a huge number of new fans without the means to play the new game unless they bought a Nintendo Switch or a PC to play on. Still, that didn’t stop the game from reaching millions of players in very short order, and it was massively popular in Japan as per usual.
In our Monster Hunter Rise review, we scored this latest entry in the series a whopping 9/10, thanks to new gameplay tweaks and innovations like the Palamutes:
“Monster Hunter Rise is an incredible game. While it may not feel quite as ground-breaking for the series as World did, it boasts a stronger and distinctly Japanese identity, and the changes and streamlined gameplay simply focus on the franchise’s true stars – the monsters. Rise is easily one of the best games for the Nintendo Switch, and one of the finest Monster Hunters ever.”
Here’s hoping that Sunbreak makes it even better.
- Monster Hunter Rise Review
- Monster Hunter Rise – top 10 tips & tricks
- Top 10 tips & tricks for Monster Hunter newcomers
- Monster Hunter Rise or World? Which game is better?
- Monster Hunter Rise – how to play with friends online
- How long is Monster Hunter Rise?
- Monster Hunter Rise – how to capture monsters
- Monster Hunter Rise – best weapon for beginners
- Monster Hunter Rise – should I kill or capture?
- Monster Hunter Rise – when to upgrade your armour
- Is Monster Hunter Rise open world?
- Is Monster Hunter Rise hard for beginners?
- Is Monster Hunter Rise coming to PS4 and Xbox?
- Monster Hunter Rise – Rhenoplos Egg location for side quest