2022 has arrived and, despite bringing some bitterly cold weather with it, I’m sure we’re all hoping for a more positive year compared to the last two! Considering it’s only the first week of January, there was a surprising amount of news, so let’s dive right into our first gaming round-up of the year…
In the News This Week
- E3 2022 will be online-only once again – Summer Games Fest confirms its return
- Mario Kart 9 rumours fly after analyst states it’s in “active development”
- PSVR 2 specs and name revealed along with Horizon Call of the Mountain!
- Just Add Water CEO and founder Stewart Gilray has passed away
- Insomniac Games are tweeting about the Chimera again, are they hinting at something?
- Rumour: The Last of Us PS5 remake will launch this year
- Rainbow Six Extraction will launch on Game Pass, Ubisoft+ coming to Xbox
- Ghost of Tsushima has swept past 8 million sales
- Days Gone might have sold 8 million copies in 1.5 years, according to game director
- A Skull & Bones associate game director has left Ubisoft
- GoldenEye 007 achievements appear online sparking rumours of remaster
- Castlevania NFTs to be auctioned by Konami as part of Memorial Series
- Amazon’s Fallout TV series will begin production this year
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake mod concept brings back PS1 camera
And if you’re subscribed to various gaming services, January’s updates are live:
- Xbox Game Pass January 2022 includes Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Outer Wilds and more
- The January 2022 PS Plus games are now live, download links here
- PlayStation Now January 2022 line up includes Mortal Kombat 11 & Final Fantasy XII
Our Most Wanted Games of 2022
Heralding in the new year, our look at the top games coming in 2022 kicked into overdrive as it entered the final five:
Check out the rest of our 50 Most Wanted Games of 2022 here, and keep your eyes peeled for our #1 game coming later today!
Games in Review and Featured Articles
As you might expect, it was a quiet start to the new year for the reviews:
Never-the-less, Aran was on hand with the first preview of 2022 as he looked at My Lovely Wife that makes you question how far you would go to bring back someone you love.
Last up, we finished off the week as we always do with What We Played, which featured Deep Rock Galactic, Far Cry 6 & It Takes Two.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd has made his way to the third area in Ghost of Tsushima and is loving it. He also enjoyed Deep Rock Galactic, Life is Strange 2 and Sniper Elite VR, but was disappointed with the ‘broken’ Alan Wake.
- willbuchanan got the platinums for Tomb Raider and Donut County. He’s also completed Maneater and the Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens DLC, and has now moved onto Guardians of the Galaxy.
- TSBonyman wasn’t impressed by Deep Rock Galactic and had mixed feelings for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – while it looks gorgeous he thought it was a bit bare bones. Luckily, the weekly music jams in Dreams are a familiar home.
- And Andrewww has been continuing through the main story of Days Gone, trying to avoid the open world fatigue from too many side quests.
Have a great weekend and I’ll see you again soon!