After years of being stuck in limbo and shrouded in uncertainty, we finally have a Dead Island 2 release date. Developed by Dambuster Studios and published by Deep Silver, the game will land on February 23, 2023 and will be available on PC and consoles, excluding Nintendo Switch.
Primed to be one of the biggest reveals during last night’s Gamescom opening night live broadcast, previous leaks leading up to the show stole some of that surprise factor.
That said, there will be plenty of gamers waking up to the news that the zombie-slaying sequel is actually happening and launching in several months.
The Dead Island 2 release date announcement trailer didn’t give much away in terms of showing any gameplay though does contain “actual game footage”. Fans were treated to nearly 3 minutes of gory cinematic action, establishing the series’ new setting – Los Angeles – while introducing us to one of its six playable protagonists, Jacob.
You are one of the few survivors left in LA, which is now swarming with zombies. Not only are you immune the whatever disease turns them into the living dead, you can leverage it to your advantage, presumably unlocking superhuman abilities.
Dead Island 2 Overview
· Explore HELL-A – Dead Island 2 takes players across the most iconic locations of the City of Angels, now stained with horror, in an exciting pulp journey from the verdant suburbia of Beverly Hills to the quirky promenade of Venice Beach.
· Brutal Melee Sandbox – Combat delivers the most intense, visceral and gory first person experience possible, with plenty of weapons and brutally tactical options to chew your way through the zombie horde. Whether you’re slicing, smashing, burning or ripping, we want you to truly feel it.
· Be the Ultimate Zombie Slayer – There are six characters to choose from, each with their own unique personality and dialogues. You can fully customize the abilities of each Slayer, with our brand-new skill system allowing you to re-spec instantly and try out the craziest builds.
· Zombie Infestation – Ready to experience the most advanced dismemberment system in games? Our LA is crawling with zombies that look and react realistically. These mutated wretches are the reanimated, rotten heart of Dead Island 2 with dozens of distinct zombie types, each with their own mutations, attacks and hundreds of visual LA-themed variants. Our monsters are relentless, challenging, and true Los Angelinos. Will you be able to survive?
· A Cinematic Co-op Adventure – As a proper RPG experience, Dead Island 2 offers plenty of exciting quests, a crazy cast of characters, and a thrilling pulp story, to truly immerse you in its twisted universe. Re-playability is guaranteed. Add an over-the-top co-op mode for up to three players, and you’ll stay in LA for a very long (and gory) trip.
The sequel is being developed by Nottingham-based Dambuster Studios, the team behind Homefront: The Revolution. Formerly Crytek UK, fans of the FPS genre can trace Dambuster’s lineage back to Free Radical, creators of the TimeSplitters franchise. They took the reins from Yager (Spec Ops: The Line) who were originally leading development on Dead Island 2 when it was first revealed during E3 2014.
Source: Press Release