How do Skills work in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2? Our superhero duo, Peter and Miles, start the game with a familiar repertoire of Spidey powers though you’ll quickly discover a vast web of new powers and upgrades to unlock.
The game features 3 Skill trees: 1 for Peter, 1 for Miles, and a universal pool of skills they both share. Unlocking new Skills is fairly straightforward. You do not need to collect any rare resources, nor do you need to complete any particular open world activities. You will earn a Skill Point each time you level up with experience earned through gameplay and completing missions. Bear in mind that some Skills will not be available to unlock until you’ve passed certain main missions during the campaign, and some will cost 2 Skill Points instead of 1.
Here is the full list of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Skills and upgrades:
Peter Parker Skills
- Spider Whiplash – press L1 + X to lift enemies up in the air. Works on Brute enemies.
- Spider Rush – Press L1 + TRIANGLE to propel yourself forward, damaging enemies along your path.
- Spider Rush: Tornado – Spider Rush pulls enemies in towards Spider-Man from farther out.
- Spider Shock – Press L1 + CIRCLE to shock enemies with electrified web lines, leaving the vulnerable to attack.
- Spider Rush: Express Webbing – Spider Rush webs up the first three targets it hits.
- Spider Shock: Overload – Spider Shock now sends out an overloaded power surge that chains to additional enemies.
- Spider Barrage: Heavy Impact – The last hit in the Spider Barrage flurry lets off a larger concussive AoE effect which can hit more targets.
- Spider Barrage: Brute Force – Spider Barrage recharges faster.
- Spider Whiplash: Electrifying – Spider Whiplash now sends out an electrified pulse that stuns enemies caught in the area of effect.
- Symbiote Strike – Press L1 + TRIANGLE to strike towards enemies, gathering them up and launching them into the air.
- Symbiote Strike: Extended – Extend the distance travelled and greatly increase the number of enemies that can be grabbed and launched into the air.
- Symbiote Yank – Press L1 + X to grab multiple enemies and pull them towards you.
- Symbiote Yank: Empowered – Ignore the limit on the number of enemies pulled in by Symbiote Yank.
- Surge: Don’t Resist – Surge meter gains are increased.
- Surge: Ready To Glow – Abilities are fully recharged when a full Surge bar is used.
- Surge: Alien Harmony – Surge mode lasts significantly longer.
- Symbiote Blast: Might – Symbiote Blast causes a bigger reaction and does more damage.
- Symbiote Punch: Symbiote Slam – Symbiote Punch now sends Brutes flying back.
Miles Morales Skills
- Venom Dash – Press L1 + TRIANGLE to dash to an enemy and hurl them away with a burst of Venom.
- Venom Punch: Concentrated Force – Venom Punch exerts a force in a cone from the primary target, throwing back all enemies caught in it.
- Venom Jump – Press L1 + X to lift nearby enemies into the air and apply Venom Stun to them.
- Venom Dash: Double Dash – Immediately after performing a Venom Dash press L1 + TRIANGLE to follow-up with a second free Venom Dash.
- Venom Jump: Mastery – If you use Venom Jump on only one target, the recharge on Venom Jump starts at 50%.
- Venom Smash: Jolt – Tap L1 + CIRCLE a second time during a Venom Smash to launch enemies into the air.
- Chain Lightning: Power Overwhelming – Increases the number of Chain Lightning bolt from 3 to 6.
- Thunder Burst: Static Boom – Thunder Burst gains a second charge.
- Bio-Siphon – Hit Venom Stunned enemies to slightly recharge abilities.
- Venom Clouds – Venom Abilities give off a Venom Cloud which can heal you, recharge your abilities, and even stun enemies. Evolved Venom Clouds detonate and knock enemies down.
- Critical Venom Stun – Venom Stunned enemies have a small chance to become Critically Stunned, making them available for a Finisher without using a Focus Bar.
- Mega Venom Blast: Beacon Might – Mega Venom Blast gains a large radial flash of light that blinds human enemies outside of the damage area.
- Mega Venom Blast: Self-Care – Focus is filled when Mega Venom Blast is used.
- Mega Venom Blast: Recharge – Mega Venom Blast meter gains are increased.
- Mega Venom Blast: Overcharge – Abilities are partially recharged for each enemy hit with Mega Venom Blast.
- Slingshot Launch – Hold L2 + X while on ground to charge a Slingshot Launch, then release to propel the hero forward in the air.
- Bounce Up – Hold TRIANGLE near an enemy in the air to throw them down and bounce them off the ground, extending your Combo.
- Air Swap – Press CIRCLE after an Air Attack to spring behind your enemy, allowing you to Dodge and continue your air Combo.
- Leap Off Bound – Hold X near an enemy in the air to Leap Off the enemy and bounce them off the ground.
- Web Swing Combo – Tap TRIANGLE on impact of a Swing Kick to perform a follow-up attack that lifts the enemy higher into the air.
- Wall Thrash – Rapidly press SQUARE while an enemy is against a wall to unleash a powerful flurry of blows.
- Web Line Double Takedown – Perch Takedowns from a Web Line can now pick up two enemies at once.
- Web Whip – Hold TRIANGLE to attach a web to an enemy’s weapon, then tap R1 to disarm and whip the weapon back with force.
- Web Throw – Webbed up, electrified, or Venom Stunned enemies can be thrown by holding TRIANGLE.
- Directional Yank – Hold TRIANGLE then press L2 or R2 to pull basic enemies sideways, slamming them into objects or structures.
- Web Yank Slam – Hold TRIANGLE then press L2 + R2 to slam the enemy into the ground.
- Heavy Lifting – Allows Brute enemies to be thrown when webbed up, electrified, or Venom Stunned. Also allows Directional Web Yanks to pull Brutes around.
- Loop de Loop – While diving, continue holding R2 to perform a super-kinetic loop manoeuvre and generate a boost of speed.
- Corner Tether – While swinging, hold CIRCLE and LEFT STICK in the direction of a building to quickly sling around the corner.
- Spider-Jump – Press L1 + X to perform a Spider-Jump while swinging or gliding.
- Spider-Dash – Press L1 + TRIANGLE to perform a Spider-Dash while swinging or gliding.
- Aerial Escapades – Spider-Jump and Spider-Dash are partially recharged when performing air tricks, point launches, using wind tunnels, corner tethering, and diving.
- Combo Resupply – Adds a chance for a free gadget shot at the end of a 4-hit melee Combo.
- Perfect Dodge Recharge – Abilities are partially recharged after performing a Perfect Dodge.
- KO Recharge – Abilities are partially recharged when performing KOs, Finishers, and Stealth Takedowns.
- Parry Disarm – Successfully Parrying a light enemy’s attack causes them to drop any weapons they are holding.
- Parry: Web Blast – Webbing up an enemy that has been Parried will add flyback to the webbed up reaction.
- Amped – Successfully Parrying an enemy attack grants additional Focus.
- Gadget Resupply – Resupplies one gadget shot after performing a Finisher.
- Fired Up – Higher Combo count increases Focus gain rate.
- Ultimate Assist – Increases rate gain for Symbiote Surge and Mega Venom Blast meter.
Which Skills should you focus on unlocking? Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 offers some flexibility in terms of which Skills and upgrades you can unlock though many will be gated by story progression.
As you dial up the in-game difficulty, Skills that improve your parry and dodge capabilities, as well as those that replenish Focus and Gadgets quickly become essential. While the traversal skills can make player movement a little more dynamic, they should be a low priority for those players wanting an edge in combat.