If you felt that Kingdom Come’s take on the historical RPG was a bit too easy and nowhere near realistic enough, then today’s update will hope to fix that for you. The appropriately named Hardcore Mode removes a bunch more niceties from the game, and even stacks the odds against you with a few debuffs to your character!
Out today for PS4, Xbox One and PC, this is being delivered as free DLC for all versions of the game. It’s coming alongside update 1.6, but more on that in a moment.
You will no longer have North, South, East or West on the compass, so you’ll have to track the sun, waypoints are only shown when you get closer to them and there’s no fast travel or autosaving, while health is only really regenerated via sleep as food and potions will now take time to take effect. Hindering you in combat, you can’t see your health and stamina bars, and getting hit will be more impactful. Getting a good suit of armour will be more difficult as traders will pay less and repairs are more costly.
You also need to choose two negative perks that will affect you throughout the game. These include:
- Nightmares: Every time you wake up you are shaken from your nightmare and suffer a short-term debuff. Sleeping becomes more of a “tactical” choice.
- Claustrophobic: When you close your helmet visor, your attack lowers. You have to choose between better protection or higher attack.
- Hemophilia: You bleed more which makes taking hits in combat riskier.
- Numbskull: Lowers your XP gain. A perfect perk for players who thought the vanilla skill progression was too fast and felt overpowered in the late game. It’s more work to out level your opponents with this perk.
- Shakes: For true sadists. Makes aiming a bow and picking pockets and locks harder.
- Consumption: Your stamina regenerates slower. Combat is more challenging and requires thinking ahead of each strike.
- Tapeworm: You get hungry faster, and since eating from pots around the world is no longer such a viable option, this makes the survival element even more prominent.
- Sonambulant: Fun perk. There is a slight chance you will wake up somewhere else than where you fell asleep. Provides quite a challenge when you wake up in an unknown place and can’t see your position on the map. Very rarely you can also sleepwalk your place to some secret areas.
- Brittle Bones: You must be careful while running down cliffs and riding a horse. Falls are more dangerous.
Alongside this, here’s the notes from update 1.6:
- Added “Disable tutorials” setting in the game options.
- Henry’s trunk in huntsman’s lodge no longer has “Rob” prompt.
- Knocking out Nicholas in Cherchez la Femme no longer breaks the quest.
- Fixed bug in Nasty Habits which sometimes prevented player from delivering wine.
- Fixed light optimization that caused freezes while riding a horse for a prolonged time.
- Hans Capon no longer sleeps till Judgment Day after completion of The Prey quest.
- Killing NPCs in Playing with the Devil quest properly fails it.
- Killing executioner Hermann should no longer tank the player’s reputation.
- Guards react faster to knocking someone out and carrying the body.
- Fixed numerous bugs in quest Aquarius.
- You can no longer drink-a-port from Talmberg castle in Run! quest.
- NPCs react faster to player’s surrender.
- Standing up before dice minigame with Nightingale no longer breaks Keeping the Peace quest.
- Fixed another bug affecting bird cages in A Bird in the Hand quest.
- Guards should no longer attack player after he’s paid a fine or talked his way out of punishment.
- Crouch does not immediately trigger stealth music.
Alongside the update, Warhorse have also released a new trailer for the upcoming From the Ashes DLC
Source: press release