What is The Cycle? Something with Sir Bradley Wiggins? Perhaps a simulation of that time of the month for ladies? Well no, it’s a sci-fi first person shooter from Spec Ops: The Line developer Yager and it’s coming to PC first, with plans of a console version in the future.
Brace yourselves for some buzzwords: “With The Cycle Yager introduces the Competitive Quester, a new genre of PvEvP shooter with a strong focus on emergent social dynamics,” say the developers. “These social dynamics add a special twist to the game,” explains Timo Ullmann, Managing Director YAGER. “Players strive to achieve objectives while making and breaking temporary alliances. Anyone can attack anyone, and anyone can ally with anyone. Players can be cooperative and competitive at the same time. So, if you meet new players on your way, anything can happen.”
So if I’m reading this correctly, it’s a multiplayer game with friendly fire turned on. I’m not entirely sure that’s a ground breaking idea but I guess it’s rare. Here’s some official blurb:
In The Cycle the explored galaxy is controlled by massive Factions, but the mysterious outer reaches are still up for grabs. In their race to control these frontier resources, the Factions need contractors to do their dirty work. Each player is one of these contractors, competing for objectives such as collecting minerals or hunting wildlife while being careful to avoid or take down the competition.
- A new Frontier: Explore the world of Fortuna III – a hostile, beautiful new world, full of fortune, alien life, and other players looking to take its riches.
- Storm: The cycle leaves only a narrow window of opportunity – stay too long, and you will be trapped on the planet.
- Pacting: Players can meet on the surface of Fortuna III and join uneasy alliances with one another as they complete contracts.
- Black Market: Players have a wide arsenal of weapons and gear available to them, all with different playstyles, that can be purchased during a match.
- Crafting: Players can spend their precious credits on creating new gear to take into the next match.
- Quests: Shooting may give you an edge – but the best prospectors are those who can take on dangerous jobs for factions during a match.
- Customization: A wide selection of gear that players progress through, tailoring their character to their individual playstyle, with more options regularly added.
The closed alpha will start in early August on Steam and you can sign up for that by heading to www.thecycle.game.
Source: Press release