Microsoft may be leading the charge when it comes to making its games and hardware more accessible but now we’re starting to see other AAA publishers following suit. When Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint launches next month, Ubisoft will be providing a robust suite of accessibility options for players to tailor their in game experience.
These will cater those who are colourblind or have difficulty hearing, while enabling a wider number of input devices for those who need them.
Breakpoint also you to adjust the game’s difficulty (which can be pretty brutal, trust us) as well as toggling handy features such as cross hair magnetism. It’s a level of customisation that both newcomers and returning Ghosts will no doubt appreciate.
For a full breakdown of accessibility options, see the list below. In the meantime, if you want to try Ghost Recon you can download and play the open beta which is available on all platforms and runs until September 29th. The full game launches on October 4th for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (via UPlay and Epic Games Store).
Text-To-Speech for Notifications and Chat
- Any in-game notification, and any message received in text chat, will be read aloud.
- Players can dictate the message they want to send in a text chat.
- Players can select between deuteranopia, protanopia, and tritanopia colorblindness, and adjust the contrast level for each of them.
- Settings include display, size, background opacity, and speaker name.
- The game can simultaneously read the input from all input devices connected to the PC, including keyboard, mouse, controllers, and the Xbox Adaptive Controller. For instance, players can use both controller and mouse at the same time (e.g. moving forward with left stick, while aiming and shooting with a mouse). Support for more input devices will be coming post-launch.
- Players can choose which HUD elements to display and can resize each element, as well as adding a background to HUD elements to increase visibility.
- Players can press a remappable button to make their Ghost continuously run forward. Players will still need to turn the character left and right in order to navigate.
- Players can press a button to apply continuous throttle while in a vehicle. Player still needs to steer left and right. There is also a separate version of this for helicopters.
- Players can navigate menus with their eyes. The cursor will follow player’s eyes, or the player can press a hotkey to make cursor jump to where they are looking. The following functions will also work with the eye-tracking software:
- Dynamic HDR (lighting dims or brightens depending on your gaze to simulate eyes adjusting to brighter or darker areas)
- Extended view & head tracking (control the camera using eye or head movements)
- Item Wheel and Emote wheel controls
- Menu navigation
- Check out the video below to see some of these Tobii features in action. Support for more features is planned for post-launch updates.
- Customize audio output with Master, Music, SFX, and Voice settings.
Cursor Settings (for controller and keyboard/mouse)
- Invert X/Y Axis
- Scroll Speed (for controller and keyboard/mouse)
- Scroll Invert Y Axis (for controller and keyboard/mouse)
- Swap Cursor/List Joystick
Invert Look and Aim Cameras X/Y Axis
- Inversion available for look, aim, and ground vehicles in gameplay.
Adjust X / Y Axis for sensitivity and acceleration
- Players can adjust sensitivity and acceleration along each axis independently for camera look, first-person view, third-person view, sniper scopes, drone, ground vehicles, helicopters, and airplanes.
Crosshair magnetism & snap
- Players can tweak aim-assist magnetism and snap parameters according to their preferences.
Keyboard/mouse and controller remapping
- Full customization is available for controller and keyboard/mouse.
- Some actions can be assigned to a press, hold, or double-tap input on controller and keyboard/mouse.
- Players can choose from a number of difficulty settings.
- Hints in the HUD and Tutorials in the menu can be toggled on or off.
- Gameplay mode can be set to Guided (clear waypoints) or Exploration (map-based text clues to locate objectives).
Adjustable controller vibration
- Player can customize intensity of controller vibration feature.
- Text chat will be supported on Xbox One and PS4, as well as PC.
- Emotes are supported on all platforms.
Source: Official Ghost Recon website