The first wave of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC bundle is out now, adding eight newly remastered tracks to the Nintendo Switch’s best-selling video game.
The DLC pass costs £22.49 / €24.99 for a whopping 48 courses being added to the game, putting rumours of Mario Kart 9’s development to one side (for now). These will be delivered through six waves of eight tracks (two cups) each spread out over the next two years. However, if you subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online: Expansion Pack, then it is bundled in with your sub. That’s quite a sweetener when you’ll need Switch Online in order to play these tracks online anyway.
In order to get the DLC tracks, you will need to have update version 2.0.0 installed, and then head to the Nintendo eShop store to find the DLC. Do not buy it if you have NSO Expansion Pack, but instead look for the separate box and download button for subscribers.
The DLC tracks are all drawn from the history of the series, remaking and remastering them for the most recent game, though as many quickly pointed out, not completely overhauling them to match the original Mario Kart 8 aesthetic. The first bundle includes the following eight tracks:
- Paris Promenade (Tour)
- Toad Circuit (3DS)
- Choco Mountain (N64)
- Coconut Mall (Wii)
- Tokyo Blur (Tour)
- Shroom Ridge (3DS)
- Sky Garden (GBA)
- Ninja Hideaway (Tour)
Yesterday saw the release of update 2.0.0, which was predominantly for adding support for for the new DLC tracks to the game, as well as fixing a handful of niggling issues. Here’s the full patch notes:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ver. 2.0.0
Support for DLC
- Now supports Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass (Wave 1: 8 courses)
- If someone in the lobby has the “Booster Course Pass,” all players can select one of the pass courses.
- This supports “Friends,” “Wireless Play,” and “LAN Play.”
- Starting March 21st, you can select course from the Booster Course Pass in online play.
- Supports “Worldwide,” “Regional,” and “Tournaments.”
- Even if the player does not own the “Booster Course Pass,” they can play courses from the pass randomly.
- Shortened the time it takes for an Item Box to regenerate when it gets taken by someone else.
- Fixed an issue where a communication error occurs when 12 people matched during online play.
- You need to download the latest update data in order to play online.
- If you download the latest update data, you will not be able to do “Wireless Play” or LAN Play” with other players who are using data from a previous update.
- The update data contains fixes to issues that improve gameplay experience, and other content that is not listed here.
- In order to download the update data, you need enough space on your system memory or microSD Card.