The only thing more frustrating than being shunned by certain major publishers with their big reveals is hearing that those that did get to attend the party can’t keep their mouths shut.
News emerging this weekend suggests that a UK magazine got to see Grand Theft Auto V a day or so before the trailer, and then told a ‘co-worker’ the juiciest gossip. That info, as you’d expect, then found its way onto the internet.[drop2]”The mag I work for will be running a GTA 5 special in it’s [sic] January issue,” says the magazine employee in the above link. “They… are currently under a strict embargo but talk flowed out of the office and hence why I am posting here.”
“The game world is absolutely massive and will push both Xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches… are massive.”
That line above seems to at least confirm platforms, and dashes any hopes that the game would extend out to the Las Vegas and San Francisco-esque areas.
Other things stated: the animations are much better, there are more climbable elements, there are many more interior locations, there are lots more NPCs going about their business and there are ‘planes to pilot.
What follows – ad verbatim – is what the insider called the ‘juicy’ bits:
- Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.
- The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.
- Weapons include the usual arsenal you’d aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.
- It is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.
- Mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races, cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.
- Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can’t be altered by race, age, height, etc.
- Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.
- No children NPC at all. Ever.
- There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in “hostage” situations.
- The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.
- You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.
- You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.
- Certain weapons can be customisable and some even home-made.
- One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game…
- Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.
We don’t know which magazine it was, or even whether or not this is all an elaborate hoax, but Future’s Tim Clark categorically stated that the “‘journalist’ with the GTA insider ‘info’ sure as shit doesn’t work for either of Future’s PlayStation mags.”