Touch Your Way To Rapture, Bioshock Is Coming To iOS

Would you kindly upgrade your iOS device.

Get ready to stroke a Big Daddy as Irrational Games’ BioShock is getting an iOS makeover which will include controller support.

The game remains relatively intact but senior producer Brian Lowe has said, “we had to make some minor changes to the graphical features due to limitations of the hardware, such as removing dynamic shadows, or changing the way fog is displayed.”

The game requires one of the new iOS devices, an iPad Air or iPad mini 2, or an iPhone 5, 5C, or 5S, and there are no plans to bring it to Android. The game will be premium priced at £10.49.

Sony’s attempts to bring Bioshock to Vita have failed so far but now there is an iOS version it could be ported directly to the PS Vita.

Source: Pocketgamer

Read more: # #
  1. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Wow fantastic, never played it and thought I’d wait until the Vita version came along, this would be perfect for a bit of Rapture on the loo… or anywhere else on the go of course.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 13:23.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

Bioshock 1 needs/must be played on a tv!

I’m a massive bioshock fan, and sorry but touch controls will be rubbish for this, I don’t see how they can make the use of plasmids and guns at the same time usable with touch.

and again a vita port? no thanks bioshock is very atmospherical and the vita really wouldn’t do it any justice IMO

Rapture is all about feeling like your really part of it – don’t know how a vita port could do this in such a small screen

(yes I’m a vita fan and yes I own one, and every time I’ve bought a new tv first game I replay has been bioshock (32/40/51/60 inch))

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 15:02.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Fair enough, I can understand what you mean about playing on the big screen, maybe I’ll see about a PS3 copy instead!

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 16:00.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

I agree, playing Bioshock on a mobile device defeats the entire point of the game.

Ron, buy it on consoll

I’m a bit pissed they’ve even made this, instead of a PS4/Xbone remaster.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 23:20.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

See what touchscreens does to a man!

What I meant to write in my second paragraph was:

Ron, play it on PS3 instead. It’s fantastic and very atmospheric. You wouldn’thave half as ggood an experience on mobile. And if possible, with surround sound. I’m guessing the mobile version will have terrible audio in comparison.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 23:23.
  2. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

I’ve never anyway good at shooters or action games on iPad, but I’ll have to get Bioshock, it’s too good not to have available on a portable.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 13:25.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Without controller support I can imagine this would be shite, pretty much like every FPS on a touch-screen phone.

I should imagine this will come to Vita. Seems costly porting it exclusively to iOS, and if it doesn’t appear to be coming to Android.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 13:29.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

All GTAs were ported to ios and although I bought them they were pretty rubbish to play! shame they didn’t port them to a Cato as they would of worked.

but I agree this on a touchscreen will be awful – as it’s not just an aim and shoot FPS you also have plasmids which is another set of controls at the same time

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 15:04.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Also the Splicers would be very hard to aim at due to their fast, sporadic movements. And as Forrest says, the Big Daddy fights are pretty frantic. I suppose I shouldn’t be too negative – perhaps that’s why they have opted for controller support.

Way overpriced too…you can get the game on most other (better) formats for less than half that price.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 15:33.
  4. Forrest_01

I can’t see how this would work. Or more to the point, work effectively enough with touch screen controls to be viable. What happens when you come face to face with a big daddy? I can’t imagine touch controls would allow for the stealthy approach or backing off hurriedly.

Full on frontal assaults were never really an option for big daddies.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 13:44.
  5. Jag

I hope this comes to Vita, it really should!
    The underlying graphics architecture is very similar to that of the iPad so with some work it shouldn’t be too difficult.
    Borderlands 2 got ported and BioShock has the benefit of much smaller levels.
    I’ll be keeping everything crossed because it’s such a great game!

(However Deus Ex The Fall would have worked well on Vita but never got ported so maybe I shouldn’t hold my breath?)

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 14:40.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

is borderlands ment to pretty naff on the vita though?

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 15:05.
  6. Dan Jones

Can see this being extremely fiddly to play.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 15:06.
  7. Smallville2106
    Since: Feb 2011

Wow. I’ll give it a try. Won’t be perfect but hopefully will be close.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 15:20.
  8. flatspikes

Is Vita as powerful as iPad Air? I’m odd on that I love all the shooters on Vita so please port!

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 17:50.
  9. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

Not surprised, was obvious given the teaser. But it is overpriced, given you can get the proper version cheaper than that. And I somehow can’t see a casual gamer making much sense of this game, even if some of those are quite determined to even accept rubbish controls. But it’s probably a wise decision, given the number of devices out there and that it’ll make some cash.

Comment posted on 04/08/2014 at 20:41.