As well as three sponsored (free) Mercedes-Benz karts, Mario Kart 8 will see an update on August 27th which will bring a slew of new features, including changing the way the map is displayed and view statistics.
The statistics thing is particularly good – you never know how many coins you have in-game, and you’ll need to collect 10,000 to get that final upgrade. The DLC karts include representations of the 1930s W25 Silver Arrow, a 1950s 300 SL Roadster, and the Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class.
The update itself includes these features:
- Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
- Users will be able to check out statistics such as their total number of coins accumulated, win-loss record from online play, and their most frequently selected character overall.
- Users will be able to change options of others’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to a new character or event.
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel.”
- The game will remember the most recent customised kart settings that were selected, even if the Wii U system is powered down.
- Improvements to stability of connection in online play to enhance the user experience.
It’s great that they’re change the confusing “Next Race” and “Watch Highlight Reel” order, but I’ve played so much now that I’m used to pressing down then A to continue, so it’ll be confusing once again for people like me.