Oculus Support Will Come To Apple "If They Ever Release A Good Computer"

Ouch

It’s a case of handbags at ten paces in the world of video games this afternoon, we began with Tim Sweeney vs. Microsoft, with the Epic games co-founder saying Microsoft were “subverting the rights of developers and publishers,” and now the Oculus CEO has taken a swipe at Apple.

Asked if support for the Rift VR headset would ever come to Apple he gave a rather blunt reply.

“If they ever release a good computer then we will do it,” he said. “It just boils down to the fact that Apple doesn’t prioritise high-end GPUs. You can buy a $6,000 Mac Pro with the top-of-the-line AMD FirePro D700, and it still doesn’t match our recommended specs.”

It’s rather ironic that Mac owners – who can afford to spend a fortune on a nice curvy computer and can probably afford the rather pricey Oculus Rift –  are the one group who won’t be supported.

Oh well, at least they are nice and shiny. Mmmm, curves.

Source: Shacknews

1. scavenga

What a dick.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 15:52.
    • SamBeThyName
      Since: Sep 2013

totally, for a any company to to say to a potential future customer that their stuff (and therefore, to some extent, they) are a bit shit is wildly short sighted

Comment posted on 05/03/2016 at 23:07.
  2. bunimomike

Sounds harsh but the man has a point. Just needed to word it better than that.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 15:54.
  3. Anubis2097

I wish more people would be this blunt, it also helps that he is right.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 16:36.
  4. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

No corporate waffle there! Brilliant.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 17:26.
  5. hazelam

meow.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 17:36.
  6. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

Read this on Engadget today and it made me smile. But those firmly belonging to the Apple cult will probably be offended in their religious beliefs quite a bit… ;o)

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 20:57.
    • scavenga

Actually, I’m a bit tired of hearing that, because in my experience it’s the complete opposite. As a Mac user since the mid nineties, I’ve never tried to preach to anyone about my preference for Apple computers or my distaste for Microsoft or PC’s, nor have I ever heard or seen anyone do so.
      On the other hand, I’ve never needed to say – or write – anything more than “I need an alternative to [whatever software] because I’m on a Mac” before getting bombarded with curse words, “mac is wack” type slogans and “why don’t you get a real computer”.
      So, the “religious” cult nutcases I have been subjected to have ALL belonged to the PC camp.
      My affinity for Apple is not based on design or curves, it’s been about the OS, stability, performance, non-virus environment and simplicity which has allowed me a smoother user experience than I’ve yet to experience on a PC – but I’m usually keeping my mouth shut about it.
      Oh, and I don’t play games on my Mac, btw, and I wouldn’t on a PC either.

Comment posted on 06/03/2016 at 10:52.
  7. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Why is he using Apple to try and get his product in the news? Mainstream aren’t interested in the Rift and never will be.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 21:21.
  8. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

Yep he is right, even their vanity fuelled devices costing thousands of pounds don’t have the hardware you expect. But how else would they make 10’s of Billions a year?

But of course, it’s the software that matters. And it absolutely 100% cannot be found on another device, never.

Rant over!

P.S. Actually I think Apple are geniuses in many ways and are an excellent business, if ruthlessly so.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 21:45.
  9. tactical20

My macbook pro is by far the best computer I’ve ever owned. Would never go back to Windows and all it’s bollocks.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 22:11.
  10. NicholasHeathfield
    Since: Apr 2015

Look, I’m sorry.

The base Mac Pro carries an AMD FirePro D300… sorry, TWO AMD FirePro D300s. You would need to spend at least £300 to exceed that to any meaningful degree.

Now, nutty PC gamers, the type who badger you about how much cheaper it is to game on PC while having a £3000 PC that they upgrade once a month, can handle this without a problem.

But apart from that tiny market, they’re going to have problems shifting units if what they’ve just said is true.

Comment posted on 04/03/2016 at 23:09.
    • JR.
      Since: Apr 2013

I think they just want to sound cool by bashing Apple. Its what all the cool hipster kids do.

Comment posted on 05/03/2016 at 01:30.
    • bunimomike

“PC while having a £3000 PC that they upgrade once a month”

Who is even like this? I have plenty of PC friends and no one is like this. You made good points without the hilarious exaggeration.

Comment posted on 07/03/2016 at 11:52.