Elite Dangerous Flies On To PlayStation 4 Next Month

Explore the galaxy

After a rather long wait thanks to a timed exclusivity deal with Microsoft, Elite Dangerous will land on PlayStation 4 on June 24th. Digital pre-orders are available from today in Europe, starting at just £19.99/€24.99, and will be available later this month in the United States. Those wishing to grab the game on a disc can pick up the Elite Dangerous Legendary Edition,  which includes Elite Dangerous, the Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass and 1,000 Frontier Points for use for purchasing game extras via the online store

To announce the news we have… exactly same trailer from December last year, but with date tacked on.

The PC version of the game scored 8/10 two years ago, but obviously some improvements have been made since then.

The game will support PS4 Pro but not PSVR, at least not yet. “Elite Dangerous is a flagship VR game on PC so of course, VR is important to us,” say Frontier. “It’s definitely something we’re looking into, but we have nothing to announce for launch.”

The Thrustmaster joystick will be supported, as will keyboards for text input, but not mice or other controllers. However, the PS4 version has some extra functionality thanks to the touch pad.

• Touch Navigation. Explore Elite Dangerous’ map of the Milky Way with a swipe using touch pad that make navigation fast and easy.
  • Extra Control. Customize four additional touch pad button ‘hotkeys’ to suit your own play style.
  • Fast Headlook. Quickly track your enemies in the heat of combat with optional motion-based headlook controls powered by the DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller.

Source: Press release / Elite Dangerous FAQ

1. JustTaylorNow
    Since: Oct 2011

Is this VR compatible? Looks like it would fit the VR

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 11:49.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Updated the story with additional info :)

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 11:59.
      • JustTaylorNow
        Since: Oct 2011

“but not mice or other controllers” well I will be damned. Hahaha

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 12:04.
  2. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Fantastic, that’ll be two preorders in June, they’re like busses. Really looking forward to this, I played a few hours on my old PC but couldn’t get the controls quite right. Goodbye summer, hello nocturnal space trading!

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 13:03.
  3. camdaz

I’ve got this on pc so won’t be buying the PS4 version, but if they add support for PSVR then I will. £20 for the game is a lot cheaper than buying a Rift or Vive and a more powerful graphics card.

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 13:21.
  4. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Anyone got any thoughts on the season pass? What does it add to the game that’s worth the extra 20 quid? Would I be happy with just the base game now and buy the extras later?

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 13:30.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

Horizons adds the ability to land on and explore planets, along with some other really neat features. Not entirely relevant early on, but when you earn the money you can buy the necessary equipment and start doing mining/exploration expeditions and I think it taps into the Engineers thread line of the universe as well iirc.

With a game so expansive, I wouldn’t want to be without the Horizons DLC personally, but everyone to their own. I did get the game + season pass for £20 though, because it’s been around a while on PC and Xbox.

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 13:46.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

Well then, it’s the expensive version for me then. It may have jumped up the queue ahead of about 17 other games I didn’t get around to playing on release over the past year or so.

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 13:57.
      • Severn2j

Not sure if this is part of the base game, but the Commanders expansion was recently added, which among other things, allows you to design your character (admittedly a small thing) and enables multi-crewed ships (a big thing, if you like to play MP)

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 14:33.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

From the looks of the seasons page on the ED site the Horizons content is the second season, the first season contains some hugely basic stuff so I’m guessing that’s the base game now. So fingers crossed our £40 we gets us absolutely everything that’s out so far! I love the idea of flying with a copilot, mostly because I know who I’ll end up doing it with and it’ll involve a lot of bickering and ‘Your wife made you muffins? Lucky bastard, my wife is crap! Hey, wife, bake me something!’
        The wives don’t like it but can’t do anything about it because they don’t know each other, haha.

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 15:47.
  5. TSBonyman

Nice, clean visuals but i’ll need to look into it a bit more before deciding. Reviews on the steam page aren’t helping.

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 16:45.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

It’s so, so different from No Mans Sky but just as easy to sink time into, you could absolutely get into it, but probably a good idea to take a break from zooming around space first :)

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 17:40.
      • TSBonyman

I’m currently dividing my time between NMS and Skyrim remastered, so i’ve got my head in the clouds but my feet on the ground – until i steal a horse at least! ;)
        I played a little of the original Elite back in the day so i could probably get into it – but could i ever get out again!

Comment posted on 16/05/2017 at 22:25.