[UPDATE] Life Is Strange: Before The Storm Has Been Revealed

A prequel

We had hints that there would be a prequel to Dontnod’s Life Is Strange a few days ago and the game has now been officially revealed on stage during Microsoft’s E3 show. We don’t know much about the title other than that there will be three episodes with the first out this August. Idol Minds, who have re-branded as Deck Nine, are behind the game rather than Dontnod.

UPDATE: Here is the official word from Square Enix, plus a new video

LIFE IS STRANGE: BEFORE THE STORM is set in Arcadia Bay, three years before the events of the first game in the series. Players will take on the role of a rebellious 16 year-old Chloe Price who forms an unlikely friendship with Rachel Amber; a beautiful and popular girl destined for success. When Rachel’s world is turned upside down by a family secret, it takes this new-found alliance to give each other the strength to overcome their demons.

Whilst the first released game in the series was created by DONTNOD Entertainment in Paris, LIFE IS STRANGE: BEFORE THE STORM is being developed by Denver based studio, Deck Nine Games.

“The original LIFE IS STRANGE brought a new level of depth and real-world emotion to the narrative adventure game genre and  holds a strong place in many people’s hearts, including our own,” said Jeff Litchford, Vice President at Deck Nine Games. “It’s an absolute privilege to work on the next game in the series and it’s our chance to do justice to the series and prove the quality of our unique StoryForge toolset from our very talented team.”

Source: YouTube

1. aerobes

Developer change makes me nervous. First series was excellent.

Comment posted on 12/06/2017 at 00:01.
  2. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

And what’s the connection to Xbox?
    Still got to play the first one, though.

Comment posted on 12/06/2017 at 00:40.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

Play it, it’s utterly gripping :)
      I was very dubious about the change of dev but the trailer looks really good, it hadn’t occurred to me they’d pick Chloe as the protagonist but that makes great sense. I wonder how much sci-fi will be involved?

Comment posted on 12/06/2017 at 07:32.
      • Andrewww
        Since: Jan 2010

Yeah, I definitely will, I bought it long before it went on Plus, but I just don’t get around playing all that’s interesting.
        But it’s quite high up on my backlog list…

Comment posted on 12/06/2017 at 07:52.
  3. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Life Is Strange was fantastic and was wondering what might follow. I didn’t expect it to be a prequel — was kinda hoping we’d get a new story with a new character. I’m sure it will be great though.

Comment posted on 12/06/2017 at 01:54.
  4. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

As far as I’m aware, DontNod have said they have a team that are working on a follow up to Life Is Strange.

I don’t think this is it though.

Either, I can’t wait to revisit Life Is Strange, easily one of the best games this gen.

Comment posted on 12/06/2017 at 10:08.