When the Nintendo Switch Online app was released for mobiles it came with a bevy of issues. The main focus of the app was for voice chat but people quickly discovered that if their phones entered sleep mode then the chat would stop working. App users also found that voice chat would stop if other apps were opened. Essentially you needed to make sure your phone screen didn’t sleep and not use any other app while using the Switch Online one.
Needless to say these decisions were not popular. Today Nintendo released version 1.1.0 of the Switch Online app which sought to address these issues, with the app now working when the phone enters sleep mode as well as allowing use of other apps, except for ones with audio output or use the microphone. Update notes below.
- Voice chat will now continue when other apps are opened.
- This excludes apps with audio output or apps that use the microphone.
- Voice chat will now continue during sleep mode.
- If the power-saving feature is activated on devices using Android 6.0 or later, voice chat may be interrupted after the device has entered sleep mode. To use voice chat during sleep mode, go to Other Settings ⇒ Power Saving Settings in the app and deactivate battery optimization on the Android device. For more details, please refer to the official website for your smart device.
- Improved support for Bluetooth devices. (For Android devices only.)