There’s no rest for an MMORPG developer, and Square Enix are keen to carry on in 2018 as they ended 2017, with patch 4.2 for Final Fantasy XIV bringing plenty of new content for players to sink their teeth into when it lands on 30th January.
Rise of a New Sun, as the patch is known, features the next step in the Omega raid series, features two new dungeons, a new Trial against Byakko, one of the Four Lords, and plenty more besides. You might spot Kefka amongst all of this, a character from Final Fantasy VI
Here’s the big bullet points from the update, with more nitty-gritty information to be found on the Square Enix site:
- New Main Scenario Quests – Thanks to the Warrior of Light’s heroic deeds and Raubahn’s long-awaited return, Ala Mhigo continues its steady march towards recovery. All is not well in the East however, with worrying rumours coming out of Doma.
- New Raid Dungeon – The next arc in the Omega raid series, Omega: Sigmascape arrives to test the Warrior of Light’s limits even further. With familiar faces from FINAL FANTASY V being summoned up previously, today’s trailer shows Sigmascape populated with features very reminiscent of FINAL FANTASY VI…
- New Trial – Meet one of The Four Lords, Byakko, in this challenging new Trial kicking off a fresh series of side quests.
- New Dungeons – Two new high-level Dungeons: Hells’ Lid and The Fractal Continuum (Hard).
- New Beast Tribe Quests – The Vira, one of the tribes of snake-like Ananta, have long supported the efforts of the Resistance by sending warriors to bolster their ranks. Now they turn to the Warrior of Light for help.
- Glamour Dressers – Convert clothing, weapons, and tools into glamours at inns, and combine these into a complete ensemble for convenient customisation of player outfits.
- The Feast PvP Updates – Alongside a fresh ruleset and the addition of The Crystal Tower Training Grounds map, the new PvP Team System will allow groups of up to six to compete in ranked matches while communicating using a special group chat function.
- A New Duty Recorder Feature – Analyse your raids from multiple viewpoints to improve tactics or relive your greatest battles with this new video playback feature.
- Housing Updates – New wards and neighborhoods will be added to each of the four residential areas.
- Updates to bard’s performance actions, additional inventory through the use of a new companion storage feature, new more powerful gear and more.
Source: press release