The VR stealth action game Espire 1: VR Operative will be released on September 24th for PSVR, Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, Valve Index, and Windows Mixed Reality. The news was confirmed by publisher Tripwire Interactive along with the game’s developer Digital Lode. Pre-orders for Epsire 1 have gone live today with those pre-ordering through Steam getting Killing Floor: Incursion as a bonus while those pre-ordering for PSVR in North America will get a 15% discount, which will come into affect on August 30th.
As you can see from the gameplay above players will be infiltrating different areas while sneaking past guards, or taking them out and hiding the bodies to make sure the alarm isn’t raised. The developers are also stating they’ve found a way to help with motion sickness while players move through a system called Control Theatre. It’s being a called a VR within VR system where the world adapts to player movement so as to reduce the risk of motion sickness. The settings of Control Theatre are customisable so if you’re comfortable with full movement then you can disable the help.
The features of Espire 1: VR Operative are listed as follows:
- The definitive VR stealth experience: bringing the stealth genre to the exciting medium of Virtual Reality, delivering gameplay mechanics for the stealth and action genres that have yet to be explored.
- Full freedom of movement: allowing players the freedom to move anywhere within their virtual environment, moving, climbing, and falling with full comfort and no motion sickness for almost all players.
- Complete single-player story, rich in detail: developed as a dedicated single player VR experience with individual story missions and scenario missions that use the story mission environments for short challenges.
- Voice control: Using the VR headset’s onboard microphone, players can make commands and perform actions simply by speaking. The noises players make can draw the enemy to their location – adding a new way to gain the advantage.
- Arsenal of weapons and gadgets: As an Espire model 1 Operative, players will have access to dozens of unique gadgets and weapons such as a tranquilizer pistol and deployable spy cameras in order to complete the mission objectives.
- Global Leaderboard: A worldwide tally awards players a competitive score based on mission time, movement, stealth, ammo conservation, takedowns and other factors.
- Intuitive controls that mimic real life: Interaction in this game aims to be natural and intuitive. Instead of memorizing dozens of button combinations for every action, players perform them as they would in real life. Operatives can crouch and enter cover by physically using their body.
- Smart AI: Enemy combatants in this game actively hunt the player. The AI responds to sight, sound, and other stimuli and will react to with varying levels of suspicion based on the player’s physical stance, movement speed, cover and relative location.
Source: Press Release