EA held an earnings call for investors last night and revealed that the next Battlefield game will skip next year, and indeed will probably skip the current generation. EA expect Battlefield Whatever to launch in FY2022, which runs from April 2021 and March 2022, the last title, Battlefield V, was released in 2018.
“Targeting new innovation that will be enabled by next-gen platforms and a growing install base on the new consoles, our next Battlefield game is set for FY2022,” said CEO Andrew Wilson in a post-earnings call, adding that the game will be “doing things in the context of multi-play and social play and competition that Battlefields to this point have not done.”
EA’s shooter for 2020 will one that is already available, Apex Legends. The game now has 70 million players and will be expanded next year keeping Respawn “hyper-focused” on the game. That does mean that Titanfall 3 is not on the cards for next year, although chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said “We won’t forget about [Titanfall].”
Apex Legends is currently running a Halloween event, Shadowfall, which is set in the Kings Canyon map with a a night setting and up to 35 players. Yes, it is smaller than normal but there’s a twist to this solo battle royale. Should your character be killed they will respawn as a member of the Shadow Squad. Shadow Squad characters don’t have access to weapons or abilities but have increased movement speed and a very powerful melee attack. When there are only ten living players left they have to work together to get to the evacuation zone while fighting back against the Shadow Squad. It won’t be easy as Shadow Squad members have unlimited respawns.
The key features are below.
- Limited Time Mode – Shadowfall
- Featuring a nighttime version of Kings Canyon
- Exclusive event challenges with free earnable cosmetics, including Two Legendary Weapon Skins
- 24 Event Limited premium cosmetics that players can now unlock in one of three ways:
- Direct purchase for Apex Coins
- Direct unlock with Crafting Metals
- Random unlock with Event Apex Packs
- Additionally, the Event Currency in these packs has been replaced with non-event loot drops, yielding more loot overall
- Lifeline Heirloom Set Preview
- Unlock all 24 Fight or Fright pack cosmetics during the event and unlock the Lifeline Heirloom set for free
- Double XP for Top 5 & Wins Weekend
The Fight or Fright challenges and rewards include:
- First login during event – Fight or Fright music pack
- Kill 1 shadow in Shadowfall – Fight or Fright Badge Tier 1
- Kill 50 shadows in Shadowfall – Fight or Fright Badge Tier 2
- Escape in the Dropship 25 times in Shadowfall – Fight or Fright Badge Tier 3
- Kill 25 loot bin spiders or zombies in Shadowfall – R301 Ghostly Graveyard weapon skin
- Kill 50 Legends in Shadowfall – Octane Wildfire skin
- Win as both a legend and shadow in Shadowfall – Devotion Nocturnal Elegance weapon skin
- Complete 20 Daily Challenges – Alternator Haymaker weapon skin
Fight or Fright will begin on October 15th and run until November 15th.Check out our Apex Legends hub.