Final Fantasy XIV continues to dominate the lives of MMORPG players across the world as Square Enix announce that they have more than 18 million registered players for the fantastical fantasy game. With the release of the Shadowbringers expansion this year even more players have jumped onboard, and rightly so; Final Fantasy XIV remains a brilliant experience, and must surely be in line as one of the best supported games of all time.
Announced as part of the 56th Letter from the Producer, the über-cool Naoki Yoshida also confirmed the return of the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festivals, with events in North America, Europe and Japan. North American fans will be hoping for a larger venue this year, and maybe for an East Coast location after the event was held in Las Vegas last time around. Maybe Houston would be a good shout since it’s in the middle? As for fans in Europe, they’ve been treated to Germany and France in the last two years, so maybe it’s time for the UK to take the reins, or somewhere like The Netherlands. At least we know they’re happening!
Yoshida also announced the first Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Art Book, entitled Art of Reflection – Histories Forsaken -, which is due for release in March 2020, and will feature hundreds of pages of artwork and a bonus code for a Dulia-Chai wind-up minion to add to your collection. You can pre-order it here.
Patch 5.2 is called Echoes of a Fallen Star, and features a wealth of shiny new content:
● New Main Scenario Quests – The much-lauded narrative of Shadowbringers continues, as the Warrior of Darkness and the Scions of the Seventh Dawn continue uncovering the mysteries of The First.
● New Equipment Enhancement Quest Series – This new quest series will feature regular updates from Patch 5.2 onward, allowing players to obtain powerful equipment as they learn more about the Hrothgar homeland, the Bozja Citadel.
● New Trial: The Ruby Weapon – Players can challenge Ruby Weapon in both normal and extreme difficulties.
● New Chronicles of a New Era Quest – Discover the lore behind the new Weapon series.
● New Raid: Eden’s Verse – The second chapter in the Eden raid series will feature challenging new battles in both normal and savage difficulties.
● Ishgardian Restoration Update – The next update in this content for Disciples of the Hand and Land will feature gatherer-specific content in the Diadem, high-level crafting challenges, a new ranking system, and more.
● New Beast Tribe Quests – The Qitari will provide new quests geared towards Disciples of the Land classes.
● New Dungeon: Anamnesis Anyder – Tackle this new challenge alongside fellow adventurers, or a party of non-player characters using the Trust system.
● Job Adjustments, Adjustments to PvP Actions, New Game+ Updates, Numerous Crafter and Gatherer Updates, and More
If you’ve fallen off the Final Fantasy XIV wagon, now’s the perfect time to get back into it, with a free login campaign running between now and the 14th of January. If you don’t have an active subscription you can get back in for five consecutive days (120hrs) of questing and messing about, all for the bargain price of nothing. Further information can be found here.