During last night’s PlayStation 5 showcase we saw footage from the PS5 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and then were surprised by the news that an open alpha test will begin this weekend exclusively on PlayStation 4.
You will be able to pre-load the alpha from the PlayStation Store today, September 17th, at the following times:
- 8:00 AM PDT
- 10:00 AM CDT
- 11:00 AM EDT
- 4:00 PM BST
Preload links are now live:
- Download Free Alpha: Americas
- Download Free Alpha: Europe, Middle East, Australia, or New Zealand. Note that due to the game’s rating, PS Plus is required to download in Germany.
- Download Free Alpha: Japan
- Download Free Alpha: Asia
You then have just over twenty-fours hours to wait until you can start playing, with the alpha running from September 18th to the 20th, starting at the following times.
- 10:00 AM PDT
- 12:00 PM CDT
- 1:00 PM EDT
- 6:00 PM BST
The download will be a fairly reasonable 25gb so make sure you have enough free space on your PS4 hard drive. Activision have said that at least two modes will be available, 6v6 mode and 12v12, the new Combined Arms – Domination mode.
As this is a PlayStation exclusive alpha it will not have cross play, but PC and Xbox owners will be getting a beta later on in the year. A PS4 exclusive beta beta window kicks off on 8th October for those who pre-order the game digitally, before all PS4 players can take part on 10th October. The beta then opens on all platforms from 15th-19th October.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will feature cross-generational, cross-progression and cross-platform multiplayer, uniting all platforms in a fundamental way.
Deniable Operations are what Treyarch say unify their globe-trotting game and its multiplayer. Each location has a story to it, with those seen in the trailer include Miami, the North Atlantic, Angola, Moscow and the Ural Mountains, each of which leans on vehicles in some way, whether it’s tanks, boats, jetskis, helicopters or more.
Classic game modes like Team Deathmatch, Domination and Search and Destroy will be there, as will the return of Domination, but there’s also new game modes:
- VIP Escort – a 6v6 objective-based mode where you try to escort one of the players, the designated VIP player – who’s equipped with a fancy pistol, spy plane for intel and smoke grenade – needs to reach one of two exfiltration sites, or you wipe out the other team.
- Combined Arms – a 12v12 battle that brings vehicular warfare into the mix.
Fireteam – a new 40-player category of Black Ops Multiplayer with up to 10 teams of four. The first available Fireteam game type is called Dirty Bomb, with more details planned for a later time.