With the PlayStation 5 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon fast approaching on 2nd March, Sega have confirmed the graphics modes that the game will feature on Sony’s new games console.
In essence, the PlayStation 5 modes are a match for the modes already seen on Xbox Series X, with a choice to either prioritise resolution or frame rate. The choice boils down to being between 30fps at native 4K (2160p), and 60fps at 1440p. Interestingly, there’s no mention of the Xbox Series X’s 1080p mode, which ironed out the very occasional dips found during the flashiest attacks – per Digital Foundry.
The details came through Sega’s new website for the International Edition of the game, which will be launching through Asian territories. Not to be confused with the localised version of the game that released in the West at the end of 2020, the International Edition brings the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Windows PC ports of the game back to Japan and other Asian territories, coming with the sweetener of the Premium New Game and Super Final Millennium Tower DLC.
The International Edition will launch on 25th February for those platforms, with the PlayStation 5 equivalent coming on 2nd March. There is no PS4 version of the International Edition, though the base game first launched on PS4 over a year ago on 15th January 2020 – there’s no way to upgrade to the PS5 version in Japan.
It’s a very different situation in the West, however. Yakuza: Like a Dragon launched over here on 10th November for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, with Microsoft securing a timed exclusive on the next-gen version of the game, bundling it up in their Smart Delivery cross-gen programme. A PS5 release was always on the cards though, and Sega committed to free cross-gen upgrades on PlayStation as well, but with the caveat that you will not be able to transfer your save and progress data (a common issue with cross-gen game).
Source: Ryu Ga Gotoku
Yakuza: Like a Dragon Guides & more from TheSixthAxis
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon Review
- Every Yakuza game ranked from worst to best
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – quick XP and levelling guide
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – how to improve friendship bonds
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – all mini-games and where to find them
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon starting jobs guide
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – all female jobs and skills
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – all male jobs and skills
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – find all Kappa Statues
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon – find all Missing Cats
- Tokyo in video games: a brief history