With Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart readying for its June 11th launch on PS5, it looks like someone has already beaten developers Insomniac Games to the punch.
One incredibly talented Dreams creator named Sharfik has allowed Ratchet fans to get some early hands on time with one of the sequel’s biggest new features: its female Lombax hero, Rivet.
This unofficial creation is available to play right now via Dreams on PS4 (as well as PS5 through backwards compatibility) and it’s certainly one of the more uncanny playable experience out there.
Set across two levels, including a large metropolis and a dinosaur inhabited planet, you’ll play as Rivet as she looks to reunite Clank with his long-time companion. It’s a surprisingly solid fan game and one that uses many of the same platforming and combat systems from the Ratchet & Clank series, complete with fantastic character animation and even some light voice acting. With Rift Apart coming exclusively to PS5 in June, this is your only way to get a taste of the game on PS4.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the sixteenth instalment in Ratchet & Clank series since it debuted on the PS2 back in 2002, following on from the events of 2013’s Ratchet & Clank: Nexus. This latest instalment is already looking like a true showcase for the PS5. In the latest game footage, we can Rift Apart seamlessly transition between environments in the blink of an eye.
Here are more details from the latest demo preview:
- The Rift Tether is the name for the ability for latch onto dimensional rifts and kind of pull them toward him.
- There will be no load screens throughout the game.
- You can feel the energy of a shatter bomb fade away through the haptic feedback of the DualSense
- The adaptive trigger can be used to enable secondary fire with weapons. The Enforcer can fire one shot by half-pulling the trigger until you feel a bit of resistance, before then pulling it all the way to fire the second.
- This is a canonical continuation of Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, but can be treated as a standalone game.
- There are more dimensional rift abilities that haven’t been shown.
- The fast-paced dimension hopping will be reserved for when you chase after Doctor Nefarious.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will launch exclusively on PS5 on June 11th, 2021. Having recently gone gold, fans can start pre-loading the game from June 4th.