World War Z Aftermath has a new gameplay trailer which gives a preview of the new content. The the expanded version of Saber Interactive’s hit co-op zombie shooter will release on 21st September. At this point the game will be available for PS4, Xbox One and PC, ahead of a current generation upgrade to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in 2022.
What’s new for WWZ Aftermath
Announced at E3 2021, World War Z Aftermath will still be a sizeable expansion even without the new generation version on day one. All of the previously released content added to with new characters to play as, a new Vanguard class, new enemy types and a new first person mode. There will be three new story locations to play through in Rome, Vatican City and Kamchatka, and the gameplay has been enhanced with dual-wield weapons and an overhauled melee combat system.
Here are those ever so important key features!
• New Battles from a World at War: Fend for your life and make a stand against the swarm in two thrilling new story episodes — take back Vatican City in an epic confrontation in Rome and join forces with survivors in Russia’s snowbound Kamchatka region.
• New Ways to Fight: Decimate the undead with a brutal new melee system featuring two-handed and dual-wield weapons like the sickle, cleaver, fire axe and sledgehammer, and experience the heart-pounding immersion of Aftermath’s optional first-person mode.
• Deep Hero Progression: Level up eight unique classes, each with their own perks, including the new Vanguard class, armed with an electrified shield that can plow through the horde with devastating efficiency. Customize your weapons and conquer new daily missions with special modifiers for bonus rewards.
• The Next Generation of Zombie Action: Play in glorious 4K|60 FPS on next-gen systems. Endure hundreds more zombies on screen than ever before possible in the new Horde Mode XL, coming exclusively to PC, PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S in a free post-launch update.
• The Complete World War Z Experience: Aftermath includes all content from World War Z: Game of the Year Edition, including full episodes in New York, Moscow, Marseille, Jerusalem and Tokyo – altogether 23 total PVE maps across 7 massive episodes, an amazing wealth of content.
• Play With Friends Anywhere: Aftermath supports up to four-player co-op with full cross-play between consoles and PC, including Steam and the Epic Games Store. Or play solo with AI teammates so that you don’t have to rely on friends or strangers to continue the story.
Will the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S upgrade be free?
Yes… and no. WWZ Aftermath will be available for $39.99, or as a paid expansion for WWZ owners will be able to upgrade to Aftermath for $19.99. Only owners of Aftermath will receive the upgrade for PS5 and XSX|S, while the original game will remain without an upgrade.