P.T. fans your wish may soon be granted, at least of if the post from Gematsu is true. They have a source who has stated that the Silent Hill reboot that has been in the news in the past few days is at Kojima Productions. Further more, the game is being funded by Sony so will be PlayStation exclusive, perhaps with a PC version at a later date.
Rumours of two new Silent Hill games began in January last year when prominent insider DuskGolem aka AestheticGamer said the following.
There is a couple new Silent Hill games in the works. Konami about two years ago reached out to various developers to pitch ideas for two Silent Hill games, one a soft-reboot of the franchise, the other an episodic TellTale/Until Dawn-style game to go alongside the reboot.
Konami and horror masters Bloober team have announced a partnership, so that would appear to be one of the games. The second game is said to be with a “prominent Japanese developer” and Kojima certainly fits that description.
There have been other indications that Kojima is working on Silent Hill(s). Former Silent Hill artist Masahiro Ito who confirmed that he was working on a new game, and also tweeted the following.
Pyramid Head, R.I.P.
— 伊藤暢達/Masahiro Ito (@adsk4) February 28, 2020
That got people talking as Masahiro Ito previously said he would never go back to Silent Hill unless he could kill Pyramid Head.
Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka also revealed he was working on “the one you’ve been waiting for” in an interview, but the interview was removed as that seem to annoy someone. However, Yamaoka recently worked Bloober Team’s psychological horror game The Medium so maybe he’s working on their Silent Hill game.
Relyonhorror.com stated “We can also verify that, while we can’t discuss any details, we’ve also heard from our own independent source that a Silent Hill project is in development,” and of course there’s also confirmation of a new Silent Hill from VGC.
If Sony are funding Silent Hill then they would have a lot more say about who develops the game, and resurrecting Silent Hills would be a massive headline. Norman Reedus could return, in 2020 he said “We did Death Stranding, which was a huge hit, and we’re in talks to do other stuff,” and Kojima and Del Toro still want to work together.
“Hideo and I have been in touch, and he knows he would be the only guy I would follow to the ends of the earth on anything. I think if anything can be rescued, I will be more than happy,” said Del Toro in 2015.
On the flipside, Konami have not had a big video game hit years so might well be happy to grab the money while still keeping a distance from their former employee Kojima.