Dreams has been updated to version 2.42 with this update focusing heavily on sounds and audio analysis. The headline addition is 55 monster sounds from the Ancient Dangers: A Bat’s Tale game created by Media Molecule. In addition, the Dreams 2.42 update adds audio analysis and a sound thermometer so you can really delve into the nitty gritty of sound in your creations.
Dreams 2.42 update patch notes
Monster Voices Sound Effects collection
- We’re giving you a collection of 55 sound effects (Yep! That many!) for you creator types to use in your own creations! A literal menagerie of monster vocalisations, they’re perfect for all manner of creatures, critters, fiends and demons. For more on these savage sounds, head to our dedicated page.
- To use them, head into Sound Mode and Search Sound Effects/Mm Sound Effects/Characters/Monster Voices.
- Head into Test Mode and you’ll find that Analysis has become a menu! Under there, you’ll find your old friend Analyse Game… and the all-new Analyse Audio!
- Hit Analyse Audio and you’ll find yourself playing in Analysis Mode, this time analysing the cost and resource usage in a creation in terms of audio. You’ll see information on overall Audio Cost, Sound Instances and Voices.
- Just like Analyse Game, data is collected over play time. Once you exit to Analysis Overview you can view this as a timeline to figure out where in your creation the most audio resources are being used. Oh! And in the Overview you can switch between Game and Audio!
- For more information on this new analysis mode, here’s a dedicated tech page, including a helpful video, with the need-to-know!
Audio Thermometer Improvements
- A new thermometer in Sound Mode for measuring Sound Readiness, with the ability to select and locate individual sounds that are causing problems.
- Sound Readiness is the method by which sounds are ready to play in Dreams when they’re supposed to be.
- The Sound Readiness thermo will give warnings when the Sound Readiness limit is hit, as well as a list of up to 20 of the most expensive sounds in terms of this budget, and a per-channel breakdown. You can even click on sounds to locate them in the scene!
- A video guide on these improvements is coming soon!
- New Boot Image – Our latest boot image has been brought to life by Sinéad Oram, one of our artists here at Media Molecule! Over the next few months, you’ll see a range of new and beautiful boot screens from different members of the team. These aren’t related to any current work going on at Mm, rather just a way for our team to have their work seen in front of you lovely folk in the Dreams Community!
In our review for Dreams, Jim wrote: “Taking Media Molecule’s creative ethos to new heights, Dreams is a PlayStation essential. Booting the game up each time and having no idea what awaits is an intoxicating feeling. A remedy, forcing me from the rut of my predictable gaming habits to explore an inner creativity I’m often too lazy or wound up to let free.”
Source: Media Molecule