Bethesda Secret Game "Feels Like You're On A New Console."

Mystery project set to bend space and time.

Bethesda’s Todd Howard has spoken to Eurogamer’s Tom Bramwell at this year’s QuakeCon in a mammoth interview that those with even a passing interest in the studio’s games should read. Covering a dazzling array of topics from how they suck at ladders and need to get better at animation, the executive producer has also dropped all sorts of information on games such as Fallout: New Vegas and what the studio has planned for the future. Commenting on a “secret game” that has been in development for a number of years, Howard also suggests that the game is so impressive you’ll feel like you’re on next-next-gen.

“One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it’s out will be the shortest it’s been for us. It’s pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there’s a lot of game there to play right now [...] It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware – with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we’re really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.”

The interview goes on to cover such topics as ZeniMax’s acquisition of developer Arkane, iPad development, how they personally plan to battle the second-hand game market (simple: make better games so people don’t want to trade them) and the lessons learned from their earlier DLC mistakes. There is even some discussion about the dreaded issue of level-capping within their games. Howard states:

“I don’t know – I mean, a lot of games do it, like World of Warcraft, so we tried it. I think it worked out okay for that game, but going forward if we had to completely redo Fallout 3 we’d probably not have a level cap, because it just makes the game more fun to level up.

It just does. The sense of accomplishment every time you do something to get some XP. So I think we’ll make efforts in the future to not have one.”

Source: Eurogamer

1. Kamokazi-UK
    Since: Sep 2009

…You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game…

Compared to F3 & Oblivion, yeah.. Compared to Uncharted 2 & Killzone 2… I doubt it.

I say, if it is that good, back it up with a demo.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:04.
    • squashme
      Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:16.
      • Uhyve
        Since: Sep 2008

Bethesda’s parent company bought id Software…

So, Elder Scrolls 5 in the ID Tech 5 Engine seems pretty likely, especially with Bethesda at Quakecon. So I absolutely think that they’ll be able to compare to UC2 and KZ2, don’t know if they’ll be able to make those games seem last gen though…

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 16:14.
      • UsernameHere
        Since: Feb 2010

@Uhyve yeah, I was thinking about that too. With carmack making all this talk of engine optimization and seeing as his company is now part of Bethesda, I wouldn’t be surprised if their statement isn’t too far off.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 19:02.
    • Danza Di Fuoco

oblivon and Fallout 3 were epic its a shame nothing has yet matched the two mammoth time draining rpgs!! great games doesn’t always rely on beautiful and stunning graphics!

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 16:06.
      • gideon1451

True that.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 16:52.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Uncharted 2 & Killzone 2 although gorgeous are linear games, completely incomparable to games of an open world nature, particularly massive role-playing ones

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 17:10.
      • squashme
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 17:27.
  2. Paranoimia

Will it have as many bugs as Fallout 3?

Loved the game, but the crashes and glitches – particularly in the DLC – were unbelievably poor. Almost unplayable at times.

I really want New Vegas, but it uses the Fallout 3 engine. I’ll be waiting for reviews and user opinions before I buy it, to see if the bugs have been fixed. The games demand enough time already, without the need to keep rebooting the console and reloading the game.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:05.
    • squashme
      Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:11.
    • MyLeftTesticIe

I currently trying to play through FO3(GOTY) right now, and up until level 28 (current level) crashes were minimal, I finished the Mothership DLC and now I can barely play 5-7 minutes before it crashes out on me! I’m really dissapointed cause I need 2 more trophies to plat it and all of the crashing has made it unplayable.. + the only DLC I’ve done so far is MZ so Odds are the Pitt point lookout, Anchorage..etc will be a no go…

I’m kinda pissed about it, to be quite honest..

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:27.
      • squashme
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:33.
  3. squashme
    Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:06.
    • shakengandulf

That sounds pathetic !! I had just beat Motorstorm Pacific rift, every single race, GOLD and almost completed all default time tries with every variant and it froze, corrupting my save data. anyone that has done the same will know how difficult that game can be. (Lots of cursing included) at some time every game has done something buggy but to say that about a title you haven’t seen or tried is just….. pathetic. +

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:52.
      • shakengandulf

I dont know if it was Motorstorm or the console that just didnt agree but none the less, should i just not buy a ps4 or Motorstorm 3 because of this?

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:56.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

You completing Motorostorm and doing all the other stuff is very, very different from Fallout 3 which unplayable for many many people, some of which couldn’t even get out the vault.

It was simply untested bug-ridden rubbish on the PS3 where even notifications caused it to game-breakingly freeze.

Yes, bugs are part and parcel of this gen – but Fo3 had enough for several gens

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 17:16.
      • squashme
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 17:32.
      • squashme
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 17:32.
    • shakengandulf

I sound pathetic? no need for that yeah? i have completed fallout and had not one freeze on it so yes i have no fracking idea what your talking about. i was simply stating that its childish to just quite a developer because 1 title had issues for you. not everyone experienced your little drama.
      @ CC STAR yes their is a difference between a racer and an rpg as i understand and half of the fallout user have a dodgy copy to my understanding aswell.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 18:25.
      • shakengandulf

Sorry i just think squashme is exaggerating alote… Have never experienced any issues with Bethesda’s titles, well im grateful and will continue to buy there games.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 18:44.
      • squashme
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 20:43.
      • squashme
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 20:46.
  4. teflon
    Community Team

Is the massive step that they’re going to test the game before release and get rid of some bugs?

Ooooooh, ZING!!! … :P

Big talk, then. I’m wondering what they can come up with.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:07.
  5. 3shirts

These guys are very well media trained nowadays huh? “It’s like playing on a new console” sounds like the kind of soundbite you’d hear thrown about by the marketing people the week before release

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:19.
    • squashme
      Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:23.
  6. Pemberton_
    Since: Nov 2008

It best be the next Elder Scrolls.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:51.
  7. Mikiyaru

maybe its because its so secret it wont be out for a nother 7 years. which would make it on a new console…

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 15:53.
    • Kovacs

“I can say it is on the existing platforms …”

These things do change of course.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 16:10.
  8. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Doom 4 anyone?

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 17:56.
  9. steverouse1234
    Since: Aug 2010

i’m so excited about this one. Can’t wait to see what it is.

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 18:06.
  10. hiab-x

Oh well, the buggy Fallout 3 GOTY edition comments make me realise that I did a good thing getting rid of it and moving on when I did. I guess they never put a fix patch out for PS3 owners then. It was a huge pity as I’d played the vanilla version to death. I then got so excited about the extra DLC. I managed to get halfway through Operation Anchorage before it started completely crashing my system over and over.

Thus, one of the most enjoyable games I ever played slid down the ladder to becoming one of the worst/bug ridden games I’d ever handled. Bethesda support (LOL) basically said “If you feel dissatisfied with the product return it to your retailer…OR delete your 100+ hour game saves, start again from scratch and see if that stops the game from crashing.

Needless to say, I’m right there with the skeptics, Bethesda would have to put out a 9/10 critically acclaimed title before I could think of trusting them again. They really let the PS3 down.

Rant over ;-)

Comment posted on 16/08/2010 at 18:07.