'Metal Gear Solid 5' Info Coming This Month

Kojima is back.

Looks like the Official PlayStation Magazine might be worth picking up next month, especially for Metal Gear fans.

Indeed, the cover star is Kojima himself, with the magazine promising ‘his most candid interview ever’ and news on ‘Metal Gear Solid 5′, effectively confirming that the game exists, at least conceptually.

Naturally, we’re not expecting too much in the way of detail – the mag might be featuring the developer strongly, but we doubt any firm facts are likely to be as openly discussed as the teaser suggests.

However, expect some “almighty teases regarding life after Metal Gear” and plenty of retrospective looks at the hugely popular series when the mag hits shelves on the 29th of November.

Source: OPM.

Read more:
  1. Burgess_101

yes yes yes ! i love MGS to pieces !

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:08.
  2. StevenHibs
    Since: Oct 2009

Yay, hopefully this is PS3 exclusive

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:08.
    • gideon1451

Or perhaps the next Sony platform? I think he has mentioned in the past that the Metal Gear Solid series would be a PlayStation exclusive, but how that is compatible with the HD collection coming out on Xbox as well, confuses me.

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:11.
    • nofi
      One for all.

“Yay, hopefully this is PS3 exclusive”

Why?

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:21.
      • Adiemus

So it can have the same awsome install system it used in MGS4! isn’t it obvious!

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:42.
      • Rad4Life

Why not nofi? Nothing wrong with a console having some exclusives. I’m not demanding Gears of War or Forza. If I want them, I would buy a 360. Since I enjoy Ratchet & Clank, God of War, and Metal Gear Solid, I bought a PS3.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 00:41.
      • StevenHibs
        Since: Oct 2009

@nofi Because I would hate for the 360 hardware to hold it back

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 00:51.
      • Awayze
        Since: Jul 2010

Because I don’t want the game to be held back graphically or audio wise. Also don’t want the story shortened to fit it on 2-3 8GB 360 discs when PS3 has 50GB available.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 01:06.
      • nofi
        One for all.

When lately has the 360 held back a multiformat game? Even those split onto multiple DVDs are generally on par or better, no?

Genuine question, btw, not trying to be a dick. :)

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 06:07.
      • KeRaSh

Final Fantasy XIII was way better on the PS3 and this probably pissed MS off so:

Final Fantasy XIII-2: No CGI cutscenes? Yeah, probably because they had to keep the two console version similar to each other this time around and I’m sure that will not be the only thing they had to cut beack on.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 07:37.
      • anthro
        Since: Apr 2011

Nofi – that’s the point really, isn’t it? Multiformat games are perforce not limited by the 360, because generally speaking they’re coded on the 360 (being the “easier” of the two to code for) and then ported to the PS3. Games coded exclusively (or primarily) on the PS3 tend to have better rendering, higher framerates, and overall superior graphics to the 360 equivalent. Dark Souls is a good example of this.

I think the point is that if MGS5 is confirmed as a PS exclusive, we can expect exceptional graphics and a gameplay experience tied into the PS3 architecture; if it’s multiformat, it’ll be coded for the 360 and then ported to the PS3, resulting in an engine that doesn’t use the PS3’s capabilities.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 07:42.
      • Gadbury
        Since: Jan 2009

Rage was more limited due to 360. The game world had to be redesigned and the texture compression is too high due to DVDs.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 07:54.
      • tonycawley
        Pint! Pint!

Nofi, you could argue that all multiplatform games are held back by the fact they’re multiplatform. It’s certainly true the best looking games are the exclusives – uncharted and killzone. The time spent developing for multiple platforms can instead be spent on optimising for a single platform. Who knows how good cod or battlefield would look if the were ps3 only?

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:00.
      • Awayze
        Since: Jul 2010

I’m 100% sure 360 holds back every COD game for starters. COD is limited to 8GB multiplayer wise and it has to cram story mode into that also. Imagine if it was 30GB alone for MP and 20 for SP. As you can’t split up multiplayer discs, COD will never get to it’s potential with 720p graphics, higher detailed maps, more maps, more onlIne features etc The PS3 is hardware wise is better but games are made on 360 limiting what the PS3 version could be.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:14.
      • Grey_Ghost13

Good conversation starter nofi with just the one word used – Why!

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:48.
      • nofi
        One for all.

Obviously single format games look better on each console – Uncharted 3, GT5, Forza, Gears 3, but from my experience it’s hardly clean cut.

My point is that – assuming all things are equal – why wouldn’t Kojima want to sell as many copies as possible?

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 09:00.
      • KeRaSh

From a financial standpoint releasing a game on two consoels makes more sense but exclusive titles are always more polished and as a PS3 owner I’d prefer a polished game over a multiplatform game that is of a slightly lesser quality. I personally don’t gain anything from a multiplatform title. All I know is that the game could be even better if they focused on one console. Why would you not want the best possible experience that you can get? You won’t buy it for both consoles so you’re not at a loss if it was exclusive, right?

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 09:10.
      • nofi
        One for all.

Third party games are rarely exclusive though, aren’t they? I mean, sure, MGS games in the past were kinda PS-orientated (after they left the MSX and Nintendo, of course) but the costs are just too high now to gamble it all on one platform unless you’re first party and massively assisted by Sony.

IMO, of course. :)

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 09:27.
      • KeRaSh

There is no doubt that something like this is a pure financial business descission but I’m not the one who makes a living from selling the games so it’s perfectly understandable to hope for the best possible experience you can get from a product and this is usually provided by exclusive titles. Then there is also the aspect that if they don’t make that much money from exclusive sales then a sequel could be in jeopardy but considering such factors would go too much into detail for a comments discussion. :)

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 09:49.
      • chibber

I agree that multiplatform games are usually on par if not better on the 360 – but PS3 exclusive games are often a cut above multi-platform or 360 exclusive titles, especially in terms of visuals and audio. I love playing both consoles, but I know which one has the best exclusive games.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 09:55.
      • bunimomike

At a guess, one of the simplest answers would be sheer loyalty. When fans are loyal they like to see reciprocation. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 10:59.
      • Grey_Ghost13

Also Kojima is a Producer of the calibre of GT’s Kaz. Bit of a perfectionist striving for the best from what he can. If I remember correctly he had reservations about compressing tectures for MGS4 as they were running out of room on the blue ray disk. I couldn’t see him, if they ever did make another true MGS game with Snake in, compramise his desires and code for the current 360. There’s always the possibility that it could be cross platform utilizing the next gen consoles….

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 11:31.
      • CrawFail
        Since: Apr 2010

@nofi
        “Not sure I agree – from what I see most multiformat games look better on 360, even if just marginally.”

If you read what people wrote you might agree that multi platform games ARE essentially developed for 360 and ported to PS3, albeit somewhat lazily and hurridly.
        Like people said, us PS3 gamers got gimped versions of games like Rage because the competition hardware doesn’t cut it.. I’m all for MGS5 being a PS3 exclusive for the sole fact it will be incredible.. If Kojima was concerned about sales MGS4 would have hit the 360 by now. Invalid argument, mate.
        The guy obviously wants full creative and technological control over what he’s creating, which I absolutely support
        I’m sure you’d sing a different tune if your precious Zelda got released simultaneously on the PS1.

Comment posted on 19/11/2011 at 01:31.
    • JBoo
      Banned
      Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 00:29.
      • jayjay119
        Since: Apr 2010

This means nothing as the HD collection is a Re-release, which have been ported to other consoles over the years, and Rising isn’t helmed by Kojima, I still expect his next full MGS Kojima driven installment to be a PS exclusive as all the others before it were in some way.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 01:04.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

hope it is as well.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 01:44.
    • MayContainEvil
      Since: Feb 2011

Me too, didn’t MGS4 use most of the bluray?

Wouldn’t want Kojima to have to constrain himself due to having to cater for the outdated dvd format. And if I’m honest I just like it because I can piss off my Xbox 360 owning friends by teasing them with another great game they can’t play ;)

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 01:51.
      • Grey_Ghost13

Yep and apparently Kojima had to cut back to get it all to fit!!!!

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:50.
  3. Peter Rushton
    Since: Aug 2010

Any ideas what MGS5 will be based around?

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:10.
    • Sympozium

Snake turning into a Snake mutant….

?

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:14.
    • gideon1451

War.
      It’s probably changed too.

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:16.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

Ah, this made me smile.

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:30.
      • MayContainEvil
        Since: Feb 2011

Nicely done there :)

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 01:54.
  4. justboy
    Since: Jul 2010

While this is good news indeed, I hope that Snake is not the protagonist. Poor guy has been pushed to the limits of human endurance!

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:12.
    • gideon1451

Which version of Snake?

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:16.
    • hunterstryfe

I have not played an MGS that does not feature Snake. I hated the majority of MGS2 coz it’s Raiden. And I cannot stand the look of Cyborg Raiden so I’ll steer clear of Rising

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 07:48.
  5. Sympozium

Hope it sneaks on to the Vita….

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:12.
  6. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

My fave game series ever….this is Snake do you read me? I love Metal Gear Solid sooooo much!

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:49.
    • bacon_nuts
      Since: Mar 2011

Oh really? I’d never have guessed, neither you picture or name give anything away :P

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 01:11.
  7. Mick939

Brilliant… Rising looks toss

Comment posted on 17/11/2011 at 23:52.
  8. sabbat7001
    Since: Jun 2010

Not to rain on the parade but before anyone gets too excited, “news” on MGS5 could just as easily be in the form of “Never going to happen” or “Not within this consoles lifetime etc”. I hate to say it but teasers like this get peoples hopes up and get people to buy the magazine. It would be like a news show saying “After the break, news on JFK’s assassin” and then when they come back and they have their spike in viewers the news is “we still don’t know who did it”

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 02:07.
    • nofi
      One for all.

True, and that’s why we didn’t run with “OMG MGS5 CONFIRMED!!!” like most other sites.

He might even be trolling, and talking about Peace Walker…

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 06:05.
    • Grey_Ghost13

Just to fuel the hype fire, but it’s a bit rare for Kojima to do a big one on one interivew in a mag with no major title beign produced by him due for release. But I do agree with what your saying, didn’t they do it last year with CoD BlOps, saying they had all the info and it was just all speculation!

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:53.
      • nofi
        One for all.

It sells magazines, though, right? We’ve had this in the past and yes – their Black Ops thing was really quite cruel.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 09:01.
  9. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

Games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Ace Combat should be permanent PlayStation exclusives.
    This is where they were born and raised :) ( yes, I know about the NES/SNES titles, but common ).

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 06:52.
    • Shakugan
      Since: Mar 2010

Agreed. Since FF XIII-2 doesn’t contain CGI cutscenes which sucks because it was limited to one disc on Xbox 360(Thanks a LOT Xbox), that’s why MGS series and FF series should stay PS3 exclusives.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:25.
  10. Grey_Ghost13

I’m a little skeptical about a new MGS game. Love them, they’re so unique and nothing really comes close to them, gameplay wise and story wise! But if it is true and there will be another game in the series it’s either probably going to be from the perpesctive of a different character or a prequel story. Unless Kojima does something unexpected like revealing Snake is a father or they’ve invented engineered the nano bots to reverse his age.

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 08:56.
    • PoorPaddy89

MGS is by far my favourite series, but I kinda agree. In a way I’d quite like to see full-on remakes of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, cos I simply cant get into them! If Kojima ‘Solidified’ them that would be killerrrr!

Comment posted on 18/11/2011 at 12:39.