Rumoured Partnership Between Game and Xbox Could Bring Pre-Order Achievements

This doesn't seem very nice.

Bear with me on this one, I’m a bit disgusted by it. This is a rumour, published through our friends at StickTwiddlers, so take it with the pinch of salt you should reserve for all rumours. If true, though, it is a pretty gross development in Microsoft’s joyful skip down the pathway of shovelling as much marketing into your stupid pudgy little faces as they possibly can.

According to the rumour, Microsoft is soon to partner with the UK’s biggest specialist retailer of videogames. Game has emerged from their recent troubles with a newfound vigour for competitive pricing – some of their pre-Christmas sales were very good. Unfortunately, they also seem to have spent the party season drinking too much eggnog and talking to the people who are responsible for the Xbox 360′s dashboard and achievements systems.

The snuggling up of the two companies will include a bigger presence for Game on the dashboard, presumably in some of the myriad advertising slots that now populate that system’s front-end. That’s fine. Well it’s not fine, it’s really horrible, but we’re all pretty much used to it by now. What’s really a little bit icky about this rumoured deal is what it might mean for the Achievements system.

Game is keen to get as many of us as possible along to its midnight launches of big games. Microsoft understands the lure of an un-earned achievement badge to many of its most committed fans. Both companies might be about to exploit that lure to encourage people along to Game’s midnight retail events where they can leverage the urge for collection that’s so prevalent among their core customer base to coerce a nice early, full RRP, sale of a game. Gamers, or “humans” to give them another label, will soon be encouraged to earn a special (not included in the usual 1000 Gamerscore) Achievement for loading up a game they’ve bought at a midnight launch. I’ve just done a minisick.

We should stress that this might not be true, y’know, if there’s any sanity left in the world.

Source: StickTwiddlers via GAF

Read more: # #
  1. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

I can’t see GAME making it to 2014, and desperate moves like this aren’t going to help.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 15:06.
  2. Alex C
    One for all.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Queued outside until midnight for some shitty game you’ll be bored of in a week with the stinkiest people in your town.

10 points.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 15:08.
    • Mickey2010
      Since: Jan 2010

Comment of the week? Got my vote!

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 15:59.
  3. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

If you cant beat ‘em, join ‘em. From Game’s POV they’re being assaulted and bombarded by the industry big boy’s, so what better way to avoid being destroyed than to ally yourself with one of the biggest boy in the playground.
    I see Game stopping taking wedgies and toilet head dunking’s, but in place they have to do Microsoft’s homework every day till the end of school.
    That’s if it’s true of course

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 15:14.
  4. Sympozium

As if they haven’t destroyed the market enough already.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 15:18.
  5. Moshbag
    Since: Nov 2011

I don’t see a problem, surely this achievement will just help you spot the fools that queued up at midnight for a game (and reject their friend requests with extreme prejudice).

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 15:52.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

yeah, personally, it doesn’t bother me because I never pay any attention to achievements or trophies but there are some people who really, really do. I imagine they’ll go a little bit nuts with now having one “missing” in a tab on their profile if they don’t buy it at midnight. It just seems a bit mad and very cynical to me.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:06.
      • Moshbag
        Since: Nov 2011

I do like my trophies but I agree it comes across as a somewhat cynical ploy. Also if I stood in a midnight queue outside my local Game, I think I’d need a tetanus jab afterwards.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 18:19.
  6. billsmugs
    Since: Mar 2009

I don’t really get how this is disgusting, I’d much prefer this to retailer specific pre-order DLC (not that I expect that to go away). What difference does it make if someone gets an extra achievement for going to a midnight launch of a game? If the complaint is that you can’t get it so they have some form of “unfair advantage” over you, then you might as well complain that it’s “disgusting” how some people have more free time than you, or more money to buy games!

I could maybe see the complaint if it wasn’t in a special section, particularly if the 360 has some form of “platinum trophy” but, unless I’ve missed something, I can’t see any reason to be annoyed by this idea. Sorry if I’m just being daft and missing something crucial!

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:04.
    • LTG Davey
      andUandU

Lol, thought I was the only one who read this and thought “…so?”

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:07.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

Perhaps it won’t be a big deal to anyone (although MS and Game are obviously hoping it will – or why do it?) but it feels a little bit like they’re trying to exploit the collectors or completionists that are so common among hardcore gamers. To those people, it’s not an “extra” one, it’s one that’s missing from their collection.
      As bizarre as I find it, loads of people are really hardcore about collecting achievements and trophies – this preys on that weakness to manipulate a particular buying pattern from those people and I kind of feel like that’s a bit dirty.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:10.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

To be fair, all they are really doing is focussing on the demographics weakpoint and attacking it’s weakpoint for massive damage… I mean exploiting it. Seems like Advertising 101 to me :)

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:15.
      • billsmugs
        Since: Mar 2009

I kind of get where you’re coming from, but surely there aren’t that many people who will be affected that strongly? If anything, it might help them to realise how pointless the whole obsession is and set them on the road to recovery :)

I’d personally say that what Nintendo do (/used to do? I haven’t ever owned a DS or 3DS, so I don’t know if they’ve stopped) with the Pokemon games is a lot worse, with special event Pokemon that not only are a one-off event, but often require a long distance journey to obtain. At least for these achievements you only have to pop down to your local Game store, and they have no effect in-game.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:22.
      • xdarkmagician

Its like selling alcohol to alcoholics. The “collectors or completionists” are in simple terms, suffering from OCD- Obsessive–compulsive disorder, and capitalizing from a desease is indeed disturbing. It was MS who created the whole “my score is higher than yours so I’m better then you” craze in the first place. They have the responsibility to keep it as accurate as possible. If you open the door to buying achievements and trophies then they’re not going to mean anything as everybody will just automatically dismiss them which would render their marketing powers useless. While I’ll agree that might be whats best for gaming in the long run, I’d still like my trophy and achievement score to reflect my gaming preference and not my purchasing habits.

Comment posted on 08/01/2013 at 01:21.
  7. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

If this is what it takes to keep Game in business and people in jobs then whatever, carry on, us plebs can’t stop the marketing machine. Having said that, I still want Sing Star off my bloody games list, has a petition been started about that yet?

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:10.
    • englishgolfer
      Since: Sep 2009

Hmmm so it’s ok for Microsoft and Game to (potentially) shovel some more advertising onto a console so, as you put it, “keep [people] in their jobs”: But if the SingStar icon is keeping people in their jobs then surely they should be allowed to carry on as well?

Just saying ;)

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:27.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Ah, fair point actually! I take it back, I hate the sign star icon but it can stay as long as the person it keeps in a job hates it too ;)

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 18:43.
  8. ABlokeCalledDaz

Anyone remotely bothered by this is suffering from first world problem disorder

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:25.
  9. Sympozium

…soo if I get a rare achievement?

Am I special?

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:31.
    • ABlokeCalledDaz

We’re all special.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:34.
    • a inferior race
      I'm special

I’m special

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 21:51.
    • Sympozium

..I just don’t get it to be honest, whats the point?

Comment posted on 08/01/2013 at 00:38.
  10. wirralsman
    Since: Oct 2010

Will this support trophies?

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:53.