Wii U Shifted Just 55,000 Units In The US Last Month

It's not looking good for Nintendo's latest console, as units sales look poor compared to the ageing competition.

The Wii U had a poor week last week, but it seems that – at least in the US – it’s had a poor entire month too. NPD figures, stats that track retail sales units across the country, point to the platform holder only selling (approximately) 55,000 units. That’s not massively impressive for a brand new console desperately to make some inroads.

In comparison, the Xbox 360 – despite its ageing hardware – shifted more than 280,000 units. The PlayStation Vita is still struggling too, though, having moved in the region of 35,000 units.

Remember too that January, in this case anyway, was a five week month, so those figures are perhaps slightly more inflated that they would normally be for regular tracking period. They don’t make good reading for Nintendo – the Wii U hasn’t made much traction despite its important (and yet underutilised) year head start on PS4 and Xbox 720.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was the biggest selling software title.

1. Blastiel
    Since: Nov 2011

That strange noise you can hear is the entire Nintendo work force face-palming in unison.

…except its not the entire work force, no their is one lone individual, someone who was in the meeting room when the Wii U was conceived, someone who was laughed at and mocked for uttering the phrase “seriously, who the fluff is going to buy this?”.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 09:21.
  2. Mike
    Since: Oct 2008

Come on Nintendo, drop the price and I’ll happily pick one up

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 09:24.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

It’s only £260-300. I know it’s a lot of money, no likely amount of money, but it’s certainly decent value for a 3 month release console (with the controller tech too).

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 09:44.
      • jimmy-google

I’ve seen them from 199 already.

Too many “core” gamers were burnt by the Wii and the Wii U doesn’t appeal to the casual gamers as it’s not the fitness toy they thought the Wii was

Personally the games lineup lacks originality for me and as I’ve never taken to Mario and Zelda that rules out most of the games. The year of Luigi is hardly changing that either

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 09:53.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

I’m not saying it isn’t value for money but for me I’m not in a rush to buy it and I’m waiting for the premium edition to go under £199

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:04.
  3. Blastiel
    Since: Nov 2011

Wii U and the PS Vita have essentially the same problem, flashy and expensive devices that both feature control methods that 99.9% of developers will fudge in anyway they can.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:05.
  4. Bilbo_bobbins

I got burnt by the Wii, so wont be touching the Wii U. First of all, the console needs some decent games, until they arrive then they wont sell the console. I’ve hardly seen much advertising on it either, so I guess most parents just think its an upgrade to the original or something.

Drop the price, advertise and get some good games out.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:10.
  5. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Sold mine this week for £180, not bad I guess given it cost me a little over £225. I like the console itself but I really cannot see myself playing it, especially given the wait for Rayman has been pushed from March to Sept.
    I’ve learned my lesson with new console releases (both WiiU and Vita have been very disappointing) and will stick with my 360 until I need to migrate to PC.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:18.
  6. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

Guarantee the PS4 and 3rd Xbox will sell more than 100,000 in first week.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:27.
  7. KeRaSh

I got the Wii on day one back then and after the initial rush was gone, it started collecting dust. I then sold it before many other great games came out. This time I’ll do it the other way around. I’ll wait for a decent price drop (not saying it’s too expensive right now but a price drop will come at some point and I’m not in a rish with the current state of available games) and by then the catalog of available games will have everything I want: Zelda(s), Mario(s), RPGs and other great exclusives. If the Wii U is priced right, it’s even a great way to enjoy all the classics on the Wii U controller again.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:40.
  8. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

I think I’ll just stubbornly hang onto mine, especially as Monster Hunter is one of my all time favourite franchises and it’s out next month.

I don’t regret my day one purchase too much, as I’ve merrily played on Mario, ZombiU, ME3, Darkstalkers 2, Balloon Fight, Tekken Tag 2, Zen Pinball 2, Trine 2, Sonic All Stars Racing and Tank Tank Tank (I realise as well that only 3/4 of those are exclusives too). To be honest it’s allowed me to play far more of those games than I would have previously by playing on the gamepad while my wife watched TV and currently that’s the major selling point for me.

I think it’s a shame that it’ll be home to few third party titles, but then my Gamecube and Wii provided enough reasons to own them from the exclusives (and ultimately exclusives are why I’ve owned/own a 360, PS3, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, Vita, 3DS, PSP etc.).

It’ll be very interesting to see (hopefully on the 20th) what PS4 is bringing with it at launch, where it’s priced, and whether Sony have learnt from Nintendo’s issues with the 3DS and Wii U and their own problems with the Vita.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:51.