It Looks Like The PS4 Price Just Got Outed By Mistake

For one package, at least.

Thank you, PlayStation India. According to several reports, including one from a Spanish site and one from German site, the Indian Sony site briefly listed a page for PlayStation 4 that included a model (250GB hdd) and a price.

That price was €399 which would probably mean a $400 price tag in the US and around £350 here in the UK. That’s for what we assume would be the basic model, with the smallest hard drive size. Expect a higher price for a larger hard disk, that fancy new PSEye camera array and perhaps a Move controller bundled in with it. Perhaps we’ll also see a nice PS4 and Vita bundle, too.

The page has since been removed but there are enough corroborating reports to indicate there’s some truth to this (although screengrabs next time, gents!)

So, what do we think? Sounds fair enough to me.

Thanks, GAF

1. Jas-n

Hmmmm doesn’t €399 usually mean £399 in this /fair/ economy?

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:32.
    • Jas-n

Either way, as long as it’s under £400.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:32.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

well, it equates to roughly £335 and we usually see a bit of a bump so anywhere from £350 upwards to £400 seems likely.

The Euro-Dollar conversion is much worse than I suspected though, €399 is actually just over $500, which is too much. Although, I expect they’ll price to USD and then work backwards for european markets. So $400 is the marker and then they’ll just overcharge Europe, as usual, if you know what I mean?

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:54.
      • Jas-n

Yup, either way it’ll be more likely to be at the higher, £400 mark… which is fine by me, just look at the iPhone, some people pay £450+ for those things.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 19:12.
      • Deathbrin

Europe should just make their own console and overcharge the US

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 19:13.
  2. Jim Hargreaves

Well, I’ve put exactly £400 away in the kitty for launch day. Hopefully we’ll see some decent bundles.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:35.
    • cam the man

Same here, but there’s still a fair bit of time to add to it, just in case.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:46.
  3. TURRICAN-808
    Since: Jan 2011

I winder whether the 250GB hard drive is a Solid State Disk?

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:39.
    • Jas-n

No. Such a drive would be £200 as it is. Unless the rest of the console is off the shelf hardware :P.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:40.
      • teflon
        Community Team

SSDs dropped price quite substantially last year, so I got a 256GB SSD for around £120, when it was on offer. Add extra corporation discounts for bulk buying, and they might get 250GB SSDs for under £100.

But they’ll likely stick to standard spinning drives, I believe, since games don’t really stress them out. Cheaper and good enough, unless you have something batty like GT5 which wants to read thousands of tiny little files dotted around the place!

Comment posted on 21/05/2013 at 10:27.
    • cam the man

Could be a hybrid drive?

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:49.
      • Jas-n

Yup, or two, a Flash 12GB (like the current PS3) and a HDD

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:58.
      • bunimomike

No real need. A 7200 RPM (mechanical) IDE drive on my PC loads every game I have in, in a timely fashion. Done!

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 21:51.
  4. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Hardware prices never translate evenly, I’d expect around £400 for the basic model over here which is probably out of my budget.
    Microsoft are generally far better with their pricing, which might just well be a winner for me.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:45.
  5. Airiaen

I think £299 would be far as I would pay, depends on the bundles.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:45.
  6. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Is it too soon to pitch my tent outside Argos?

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:48.
    • hazelam

i’d wait till next week, the weather should be a little better then.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:59.
  7. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

£350 sounds right, I’m sure Sony will charge less than the PS3 seeing as that had a then-pricey blu-ray drive. I think £399 would be a generous price for a PS4 with a smaller hard drive, a game and 2 controllers.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 18:59.
  8. deadwelsh

Too expensive for me, even though I am sure it will sell by bucket loads.
    I already have 2 move controllers that havent been used for 2-3 years now, why the fuck would i want to pay Sony for another lol???
    Its not as though there is anything major that i could utilise with the ps4 (i.e. equiv to the blu ray in ps3) so i am happy to wait if not for the first hefty price drop then certainly until the inevitable slim is announced, By then the back catalogue will be cheaper, more extensive, and the hardware and power consumption probably miles better. My YLOD on several machines has taught me painful lessons, not to be repeated.
    Finally there are still some unseen consoles to consider before making a decision anyway.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 19:05.
  9. VirusPT
    Since: Jun 2010

250gb drive? That’s way to low…my PS3 has double that.
    If there is a 500€ model that only includes a larger drive (let’s say 1TB), I’m better off buying this model and a HD in separate

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 19:07.
    • a inferior race
      I'm special

Yeah the HDD size is kind of worrying.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 19:20.
  10. RocketSOL
    Since: Oct 2008

oooh, bit on the pricey side. More than I expected/Wanted. Will have to see what bundles appear to tempt me.

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 19:19.
    • honkyjesus
      Since: Mar 2011

Considering the Wii U is at least 300 bucks in the USA, what price were you expecting for what you are getting?

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 21:26.
      • RocketSOL
        Since: Oct 2008

I’m basing it on the assumption that the console will cost £400. I know the info here states that a straight conversation makes it around £350…but it never is. £350 would be lovely though. That £50 makes quite a difference to me!

Comment posted on 20/05/2013 at 21:52.