You

What We Played #314 - Farpoint, Final Fantasy XII & Muscle Bears

Calling it "Final" is a bit of a lie.

After a glorious week away in Wales (scoff ye not, it was like being on the Costa Del Sol, but with Purple Moose beer on tap), I got back into some serious gaming this week, with the giant Japanese RPG duo of Final Fantasy XII and XIV threatening to destroy all life (ok, not all life, just mine). After all those Roman numerals though there was some Breath of the Wild and Puyo Puyo Tetris on the handy Switch to cleanse the pallette with.

Miguel was the first to drop in this week, and he’s made a start on PSN indie title Fallen Legion, as well as continuing his play through of Fire Emblem Echoes. Dave meanwhile has been playing Hey! PIKMIN, as well as some Flip Wars and Kirby’s Blowout Blast for review. He also found time for the weekly Hearthstone Tavern Brawl which this week has all summoned minions automatically get Charge and Taunt on top of what they have already, which has apparently been quite fun.

Steve has had some classic gaming (and purchasing) to do this week;

Tackling my PS4 backlog with God of War III Remastered. Never played the original (PS3 passed me by) but it’s more of the same gory Kratos fun. Alongside that I’ve put quite a few hours into the great Iron Crypticle – a super slower-paced companion roguelite to Monolith.
Had a look at Element4l on Vita but the controls felt oddly unresponsive so put that away. Picked up Dracula X Chronicles in the Japan sale so that’ll be my travel game over the summer. Also grabbed Vagrant Story, FF 8 and 9 and Resi 2 and 3 in a bit of a PsOne binge. Resi 2 had to be bought through the website for some odd reason.

Tuffcub has apparently been playing with his “pet muscle bear” which has resulted in a broken coffee table, a dented fridge and lots of bruises! He’s also played a little Farpoint which is “very good”. Jim has been at it again with For Honor this week and is still loving it despite the odd disconnection here and there. Next to that he’s dabbled in some more Final Fantasy XIV, having just beaten the first new dungeon from Stormblood. He also bagged a copy of Final Fantasy VI for his iPad and is hoping to actually beat it this time around. To round things off, he’s gunning his way to the end of Resident Evil 4.

Aran has also been playing Farpoint which he’s finding okay and though the immersion is great, it does feel a bit too samey. He’s also gone back to his Ebbsfleet Football Manager save, and is sitting mid table in League 2 which isn’t bad for a team that was in the Vanarama South four seasons ago!

Jake has been playing Breath of the Wild on Master Mode, but is finding it more or less the same in difficulty really, minus some random higher tier enemies. He’s also played the Crash Trilogy and RIME, both of which he’s enjoying a lot, but then he does love a good platformer or five!

Last, but certainly not least Tef has been putting in some serious time with his Switch;

Most of this week has been spent with Splatoon 2, first sampling the single player and then delving into the multiplayer against other reviewers where it’s been possible. I can’t really say more than that until the review embargo lifts next week, but I’m looking forward to playing more!

Alongside that, there was the first episode of Minecraft: Story Mode Season Two, which tries a few new things but I feel doesn’t quite pull them off, and I got to play Danganronpa V3 earlier this week as well. More on that one soon!

So, that was us, what have you played?

Read more:
  1. tactical20

Finished off a couple of collectable trophies to get the platinum for Lego Jurassic Park, but nothing else since then. Could be a quiet couple of months gaming I think.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 17:41.
  2. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I do nearly bought a Switch when I’d had a few too many and was bored on the train home last night, so nearly! But whilst I’m horribly addicted to Elite there’s no point. Elite is incredible, the community goals and some suggestions from MrYd have given me little personal aims that’ve made the game more fun. My Cobra 3 is now looking pretty hot, engineers have helped me tune up my existing top spec parts, now I’m on the hunt for the best I can squeeze into it.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 17:50.
  3. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Mostly Elite this week. I’ve now completely forgiven all open world games that take too long to get from one side of the map to the other. That’s nothing compared to a several hundred lightyear trip across the galaxy. Driving a car into a lamppost in GTA or whatever is some fun, minor chaos to make a little 5 minute drive more enjoyable. Flying your ship too close to a star in Elite is _not_ fun, especially when you realise that if you die, that’s an hour’s travel and a big chunk of money wasted.

There was some fun on Monday night with Killing Floor 2 as well. Me running around with ‘splodey-gun, basically just redistributing bits of zombie while Tuffcub had a pointy stick or something equally ineffective. Should be even more chaos next time if we’ve got a full team of 6 playing. Fun game, with ridiculous collectables. In a game that really doesn’t need collectables. And which you don’t so much collect as accidentally explode.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 18:43.
    • Tony Cawley
      Pint! Pint!

Haha, Tuffcub had a spade! He was less than impressed, to say the least!

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 19:23.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

He wasn’t doing too badly once he switched to something vaguely decent.

And while the rest of us had decent weapons, he’s apparently had a game of musical bears as well. Which is either the best thing ever, some sort of horrible nightmare, or a case of me reading something wrong.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 20:21.
  4. Tony Cawley
    Pint! Pint!

Had the tsa Killing Floor 2 meet on Monday, we were honoured by the presence of Tuffcub. Was genuinely good fun. Looking forward to more of the same this coming Monday, we have a full team of 6 signed up!

Also I bought Modern Warfare Remastered and stomped through the single player campaign on that, still one of the best military shooter campaigns out there, 9 years later .

Then I played the multiplayer, which I was very good at when the original game came out. It appears everyone else has continued playing the game for 9 years and become gods, I get slaughtered in nearly every match now. I don’t get it though, I watch the kill cam back and often find myself wondering “how on earth did he even see me”? Honestly, I can’t see me on the kill cam so I’ve no idea how they can.

I’m enjoying the memories though and all in all I’m glad I bought it.

Other than that, a bit of Overwatch with my boy and that’s about it.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 19:21.
  5. TSBonyman

I played a few episodes of Telltale GoT, like with all the telltale games i get lulled into putting the controller down in between the interactive sections, then often have to scramble to grab the controller in time to respond to a dialogue – and not always making it in time. But it still counts as a choice anyway which makes my interaction seem even less important than the unimportance i had already calculated. The story is growing on me though so it’s not all bad.

I’ve also been playing some PSVR, Dirt Rally VR is great but i’m having more fun with Driveclub VR. I haven’t played it for a while so i’m enjoying revisiting all the locations again, even with the visual downgrade. It’s not quite the full DC game i was expecting, it has just one Tour which seems to be a combination of the original tour and some of the DLC events from the main game. Of course it also has online and all the single events and the latter is where i’ll get the most value. Checking out the cars in VR is pretty cool and although i felt a bit queasy the first time i played it, i’ve been fine since.

And i also picked up Tumble VR and although i was worried i wouldn’t have enough room, it’s playing very well with my camera setup and there seems to be plenty to keep me going for a while.

I also finally got around to the Beginning Hour demo and although i’ve played it several times before, in VR i could not bring myself to climb the stairs where the mannequins were, lol.
    But i still wanted a VR game where i could wander around and explore, not a lot out there that seemed good value atm so i opted for Mervils, a platformer/rpg game, very basic looking and in premise but with plenty of areas and mini games to check out. It’s got a whisper of charm and enough variety to keep me interested, but it’s no Jak & Daxter.

And this week i played no No Man’s Sky.

Actually no, i did.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 20:17.
  6. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

I popped the platinum out of PES 2017 last Saturday, which was quite tough this year. After that I was a bit lost so I started Until Dawn. I’ve also been playing FIFA 17 for a football fix but far less fun than PES. I’ve also been enjoying That’s You, which is a bit good fun.

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 21:07.
  7. Crazy_Del

Done all the DiRT 4 Community Events and got the online trophies except the monthly event which I will obtain end of the month.
    Been working alot of long shifts so only Friday 13th everyday after work!

Comment posted on 14/07/2017 at 21:29.
  8. Steelhead
    Since: Oct 2013

Picked up Cosmic Star Heroine. I’m about seven hours in and so far I’d call it a competent jrpg style game with an interesting narrative and fun set pieces.

I’m a bit lukewarm on the combat system, which seems to be aiming for something FFX-esque but feels a bit tedious. Also most of the characters seem borderline useless with only two or three seeming to have much impact.

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 00:00.
  9. aerobes

Finished Until Dawn, everybody died. I will admit I let some die on purpose…

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 03:00.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

On my first playthrough a lot of them died, and quite unintentionally… ;o)
      Tempted to go back to it now…

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 10:35.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

One of them died for me about 10 minutes after I missed a single button press, as far as I can tell. I would have been upset if it wasn’t for the fact that every single character in the game deserves to die.

Must finish the game and see if they can all die. But I’m not sure I can take many more hours of slowly walking around with only the odd interruption to press a random button and laugh at how badly timed and not at all scary the attempted cheap jump scares are.

Is there a way to kill them all off in the first chapter so you just end up with a couple of hours of Peter Stormare being the wonderfully creepy doctor bloke? Best bit of the game so far.

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 10:47.
  10. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

Well, some more Fallout 4, as I finally made it out of the institute again. Am now trying to finish the story by end of next week, when I’ll leave for vacation. Will be hard, as I’ll have to be good and avoid lots of interesting side quests…

Finally got round giving Child of Light a go. Quite a nice little game, and the kids like it too.

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 10:40.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

That reminds me I need to go back and finish off the last 2 trophies for Fallout 4 some time. 50 miscellaneous objectives should just be a bit of grinding with signal grenades. Then it’s just a large happy settlement which might actually involve a bit more work.

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 10:52.
      • Andrewww
        Since: Jan 2010

A shame you don’t seem to like Until Dawn that much, I loved it.

The settlements in Fallout are actually quite a pain! Are these settler’s brains so damaged from radiation that you need to tell every single one of them what they have to do, work for food, etc.? I can’t really be bothered anymore looking much after them… But maybe it’s just time to finish the story as I slowly am getting an overdose of the game…

Comment posted on 15/07/2017 at 11:28.