It’s frustrating only getting tiny bits of info here and there for something you’re excited about and up until now, that’s exactly how the Gears of War 3 beta details have been rolling in. Late last week at GDC, Microsoft and Epic Games finally blew the lid off the entire thing, giving us all the information available.
I’ll start with the most important part – how do you get in? As previously announced, you can gain access if you have the ‘Epic Edition’ of Bulletstorm but you can also get your name on the list by preordering Gears of War 3 from select retailers. Those who have the proper version of Bulletstorm listed above will be able to gain access a week earlier than everyone else. For those, the beta starts on April 18, while the preorder crew will have to wait an additional week until April 25.
So what can we expect to see in the beta? As previously discussed, there will be 3 game modes but we now know what they are. For the initial week of the 18th to the 25th, ‘Team Deathmatch’ will be the only playlist available but ‘Capture the Leader’ and ‘King of the Hill’ will open up on the 25th. As for the maps, you’ll be able to play four different boards – Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches and Old Town.
Last and perhaps the most exciting news for fans of the series, you’re going to be able to earn a lot of bonuses via the beta by completing specific tasks that will carry over to the full version of the game. All of the bonuses are listed below along with their requirements.
- Beta Tester Medal – Complete one match in the beta to unlock the Beta Tester medal, which will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game. The Beta Tester title will be featured in the Gears 3 multiplayer lobby as well.
- Thrashball Cole – Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock the Thrashball Cole character variant in the beta. Once unlocked, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the beta and the character will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game.
- Gold-Plated Retro Lancer – Show your ultimate Gears of War fandom by unlocking the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock it for the beta, and score 100 kills with it once unlocked to carry the exclusive weapon skin over to your gamer profile in the final game.
- Flaming Hammerburst – Complete one match by Sunday, 24 April and unlock this weapon variant.
- Flaming Lancer – Complete one match during the week of 25 April and unlock this weapon variant.
- Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun – Complete one match during the week of 2 May to unlock this weapon variant.
- Flaming Gnasher Shotgun – Complete one match during the week of 9 May to unlock this weapon variant.
I have to say, it looks like this is going to be a pretty huge beta. Not just because of the four maps and three different modes of play, but because of all the unlockables that will carry over to the full game. Epic is certainly giving gamers plenty of incentive to not only check it out but to stick with it for a prolonged period of time.
The beta will be ending for all participants on May 15.
Source: Press Release