The latest trailer for Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City gives us a brief glimpse at actual gameplay footage. This game is easily the biggest departure from the series yet.
If you haven’t been keeping up, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a third-person team based shooter with an emphasis on multiplayer. The game is set in an alternate universe before and after the events of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 and features the return of classic enemies, including the ever so lovable zombie.
Capcom released a brief fact sheet with some important details to take note of:
- Team based shooter set in the dark and sinister Resident Evil universe.
- Triple threat battle as zombies and B.o.w’s add to the action.
- Compete alone in Campaign mode as an umbrella Security Service member or in a four player co-op team battle.
- Rewrite the history of the raccoon City outbreak. revisit classic moments from Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 and watch events unfold from the perspective of the umbrella Security Service.
- Return of favorite RE enemies, iconic landmarks and characters, including Leon S. Kennedy who is on your hit list to eliminate.
- Competitive online multiplayer modes provide a unique gaming experience thanks to the three corner combat between the umbrella Security Service, US Special Ops and threat of zombies and B.o.w’s.
The new trailer from Captivate also reveals a character class system. Spectre is equipped with infrared technology and should be good for recon. Vector has a cloaking suit and is a master of deception. Beltway is loaded with explosives and wears heavy armor. Bertha, who just so happens to look like Psycho Mantis, is the medic and has the ability to inject teammates (including herself) with performance enhancing drugs. And lastly, there’s the government Spec Ops. These guys are trying to incriminate Umbrella and appear to be equipped with a variety of weapons.
The video is intriguing to say the least. It’s nice to see Mr. X playing such a prominent role in the game. Even if this isn’t a typical survival horror, he will undoubtedly add some level of suspense. Capcom also released some new screenshots showing off the classic Hunter enemy type from the first Resident Evil.
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is currently scheduled to release this winter for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.
Source: NeoGAF, Press Release