It goes without saying that if you’ve clicked on this link, you should be prepared for spoilers. But even so, here’s a fantastically fabulous spoiler warning for after the trailer.
No Man’s Sky is vast, it’s a game filled with too many stars to count in your lifetime, let alone visit and chart. You can finish it in 30 hours.
At least, that’s according to Reddit user daymeeuhn, who bought a leaked copy of the game from eBay for $1250 plus shipping. While the game’s galaxy is quite simply vast, the overall aim is to reach its centre, as Sean Murray has previously explained, exploring and discovering planets, creatures and more along the way.
However, while Murray also said that this reaching the centre would entail “hundreds of hours of gameplay if a player did nothing else.” Daymeeuhn refutes this, detailing his journey – which you can read here and here if you don’t mind spoilers – and saying that he made a beeline for the centre after completing most other tasks available to him in the game, reaching the centre after around 30 hours.
With the vast expectations that have been heaped on the game through its development and the building hype around it, 30 hours might not be quite what people expected. Is it a bad thing, though? Not if you ask me. I quite like my games to have an end in sight.
Alongside this one person’s playthrough, the game’s trophy list has also snuck out, giving us a look at the kinds of tasks that you’ll be looking to complete on your journey. Again, there’s mild spoilers, but if you’ve made it this far, I don’t think you can really complain too much.
- Total Perspective Vortex – Platinum
- Galapagos – Attain ‘Encyclopedia’ status in Uploaded Discoveries
- A Space Odyssey - Attain ‘Discoverer’ status in Space Exploration
- The Diamond Age – Attain ‘Magnate’ status in Most Units Accrued
- Citizen of the Galaxy – Attain ‘Babelfish’ status in Words Collected
- What Mad Universe - Attain ‘Ambassador’ status in Alien Colonist Encounters
- The Forever War – Attain ‘Legend’ status in Ships Destroyed
- The Sentinel - Attain ‘Everlasting’ status in Longest Lifespan
- Have Spacesuit – Will Travel Attain ‘Adventurer’ status in On-foot Exploration
- The Star Beast - Attain ‘Archivist’ status in Uploaded Discoveries
- The Longest Voyage - Attain ‘Pioneer’ status in Space Exploration
- The Space Merchants - Attain ‘Trader’ status in Most Units Accrued
- The Languages of Pao - Attain ‘Interpreter’ status in Words Collected
- Who Goes There? - Attain ‘Diplomat’ status in Alien Colonist Encounters
- Pattern for Conquest - Attain ‘Notorious’ status in Ships Destroyed
- Stranger in a Strange Land – Attain ‘Robust’ status in Longest Lifespan
- Symphony For A Lost Traveler - Attain ‘Nomad’ status in On-foot Exploration
- A Scanner Darkly – Attain ‘Naturalist’ status in Uploaded Discoveries
- The Stars, Like Dust – Attain ‘Trailblazer’ status in Space Exploration
- Foundation - Attain ‘Entrepreneur’ status in Most Units Accrued
- Babel-17 - Attain ‘Confused’ status in Words Collected
- Contact – Attain ‘Known’ status in Alien Colonist Encounters
- Use of Weapons - Attain ‘Novice’ status in Ships Destroyed