It won’t be with us for a little while, first coming to PC later this month and then rolling across to consoles, but Yooka-Laylee’s first major patch is looking to be a rather substantial improvement. The game wasn’t quite the rousing success that Playtonic had hoped, but they’ve been listening to fan feedback and review criticisms to make their improvements.
In particular, there’s the ability to skip dialogue faster, bypass cutscenes and turn down gibberish voices, and the camera will now have an option so it’s fully under the player’s control and doesn’t try too hard to “assist” you.
There’s plenty of other tweaks and changes, but before we get to the full patch notes, fans of the Nintendo Switch will be pleased to see this:
After completing this update, Playtonic will be shifting gears to focus on testing the Switch version of the game (which will be built with the Spit ‘n’ Polish patch included from day one), and will hopefully have a release date soon after.
In the meantime, who wants to read some patch notes? Feel free to vocalise your own gibberish voices as you read them.
- Brand new pause menu music
- New optional camera mode with minimal assist
- Pagies have added signposts to Hivory Towers to help guide players to new worlds
- Design tweaks to all arcade games
- Speed improvement to scrolling through Totals Menu
- New option for shorter ‘gibberish’ voice sound FX
- New speech volume option
- New ability to speed through dialogue by holding Y
- Cut-scenes can now be skipped with Y
- New moves section added to pause menu, with image guide
- Camera design improvements throughout game (less scripted cameras, door cams now appear behind player etc)
- Restart option added in the pause menu during arcade games and Kartos challenges
- ‘Sonar-able’ objects now have more clear visual identity
- Laser move no longer requires player to crouch
- Minecart control improvements and new visual effects
- Transformation control improvements
- Improved first-person aiming controls
- New first-person aiming control options added
- Improved flying controls
- When transformed, collecting butterflies now restores energy
- Hunter tonic now tracks the last 30 Quills and Casino Tokens, in addition to the Health and Power Extenders. It will also whistle at the location of the closest rare collectable.
- Health UI is now always visible when low
- Design tweaks in various areas (Black Hole in One, Gloomy Gem Grotto etc)
- New icons added for keyboard/mouse controls
- Improved Rampo boss fight
- Added PC Display Settings to the in-game pause menu
- Performance improvements
- Audio improvements