Still quite easily one of their most popular games, Blizzard are giving the original StarCraft a fresh lease of life with the wholesale remaster of the game that was announced a little while ago. Overhauling the entire game with 4K ready graphics, enhanced audio aew matchmaking and leaderboard systems, StarCraft: Remastered is set to release on 14th August.
There will be a handful of exclusive treats and bonuses for those that pre-order, with a trio of building skins, and a new co-op commander and three classic portraits being a bonus for those with StarCraft II. Those are all well and good, but the best surprise for me is that the remaster will cost just $14.99/£12.99. Considering that you can play the original game for free, and that it’s fully compatible with this new version, they had to get the pricing right and it seems that they have!
The seven point list of changes are:
- Full graphical upgrade of the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion
- Widescreen UHD support for up to 4K resolution
- New matchmaking and leaderboards
- Player profiles that track individual statistics
- Cloud saving for campaign progress, hotkeys, and replays
- Higher fidelity music and sound
- Switch between Remastered and the original StarCraft with the click of a button!
Source: press release