Jonathan Dumont, the creative director of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, took to Reddit to answer any and all questions regards the latest entry in the franchise.
Here’s the key information from Jonathan in the the very, very, very long discussion he had with the Assassin’s Creed Community. We read it all so you don’t have to, collecting some of his most interesting and revealing responses. Oh, and we’ve corrected a few typos as well – you’re welcome.
Read on to find out about the shield-less combat, ship-to-ship battles, fully clothed romance and whether you can pet animals.
On the game world:
- “We visited Greece to see the country first-hand, understand the topography and get a feel for the culture. We studied up on archaeological research and read ancient and contemporary authors of the classical period. We also hired on a historical specialist of Ancient Greece, Stephanie-Anne Ruatta, who has been instrumental in helping us recreate Ancient Greece and who we run our decisions past to make sure they are as historically accurate as possible.”
- “We have a fully dynamic weather system to fit perfectly with our dynamic world, and the weather we have in game is spectacular. Sailing can really be a challenge in a storm!”
- “The overall map is bigger. Keep in mind that half is sea!”
On RPG elements:
- “Since you select the abilities you want to use, you can adapt your playstyle to suit your level of realism. You can be a pretty epic over the top warrior or a down to earth Assassin if you wish. We have showcased in our material so far more spectacular abilities, but there are some more subtle ones too.”
- “You cannot customize the features of your character, but you can customise the clothing – Not with dyes, but you can mix and match gear sets with five different gear slots, and your hood will match the colour of your chest piece.”
- “You can upgrade your weapons, hull and ramming device through progression. Crew can be recruited through the world to bring specific perks to your ship and cosmetic elements can also be applied to your ship and crew.”
- “As for how dialogue choice will impact the game’s endings, we don’t want to give too much away, players will experience that for themselves. But your actions and choices will lead to different endings. True for other quests too!”
- “You will have a full quest log. Also many of our systems have individual progress trackers like our mercenary system (and other systems we want to keep as surprises).”
- “There will be many different opportunities for romancing characters throughout your journey, which you can opt out of at any time. Romancing plays just as much of a part in the choices during your odyssey as other decisions.”
- “Lovers keep their clothes on though.”
On the story:
- “There will be a canon represented in the novel. It features Kassandra and her journey. But in the game you decide your path; there is no right or wrong way.”
- “Modern day is not optional, everyone will experience modern day in their playthroughs and because of the narrative choices players can make in the game, there will be opportunities to experience more present day for players who want to.”
- “From a lore perspective, we wanted to tell the story of how First Civ artifacts created what would become the Templars vs Assassins story, which took place long before the Brotherhood.”
- “Also, AC Odyssey is a continuation of the modern day story from Layla, so players will pick-up right after Origins.”
On naval combat:
- “Ships and naval have a strong place in our game, but they’re less the core element of the experience than in Black Flag. Gameplay is also different from BF as we have a more accessible and arcade approach, focusing on the immediate fun. We are true to the era, so [there’s no cannons] but we have arrows, javelins and more emphasis on cleaving and ramming. Nothing better than cleaving a ship in half to see her crew devoured by sharks! But of course there is also a progression and recruitable crew for players that want to go deeper.”
- “Spartans did use shields, but our hero is a mercenary, not a Spartan soldier. Our gameplay is much more versatile than that of Origins and a shield was not suited to it, so we replaced shields with dodging, rolling and parrying mechanics. The parry mechanics gives a bit more of feel of old school AC [where you] fight of counter attack, while still retaining fight mechanics of Origins. I can’t speak for the future of the franchise for social stealth and parkour.”
- “You can pet and tame many animals. But there are no cats (Only big cats :))”
- “All physical copies of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey will have reversible covers, featuring Alexios on one side and Kassandra on the other.”
- “We are absolutely an AC game. AC games are about experiencing a key moment in history, a place and time that were host to major historical events. In AC Odyssey players will visit Ancient Greece during the Peloponnesian War, meeting historical characters like Socrates and Hippocrates. With our new dialogue system, players will be able to truly interact with history, which is something we’re really excited about. So get ready to debate with Socrates!”
- “The Flight is composing the soundtrack.” – Reddit moderator
And finally, Turul9 wanted to know, ‘Would you rather fight 100 duck sized Kassandras, or 1 Kassandra sized duck?’
To which Jonathan’s response was ‘My Brain Hurts’. So now you know.
You can read the full reddit here.