This time the Nintendo Direct was well worth stopping up for, and amongst all of the game announcements and trailers it seems that Square Enix have decided to heap their attention on the diminutive system next year.
2019 will see the arrival of eight – yes EIGHT – Final Fantasy games, which is probably a billion-ty hours of gameplay right there. You might as well start calling your Switch “the Final Fantasy machine”.
Alongside the previously announced Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remaster, we’re also getting the remastered versions of X, X2 and XII, an enhanced version of World of Final Fantasy subtitled Maxima, as well as VII and IX in their semi-original forms. Quite what has happened to VIII is anyone’s guess but maybe that means there’s a remaster of that in the works that we’ve yet to hear about.
Besides all of this remaster love, we’re also getting one new game in the slightly disappointing shape of Chocobo Mystery Dungeon, though really there’s very little to complain about, apart from perhaps where Final Fantasy XIV is!
UPDATE: Ah, pesky timed announcements! Turns out the games are also coming to PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
- 6th November – World of Final Fantasy Maxima (Switch, Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Winter 2018 – Chocobo Mystery Dungeon (Switch, PS4)
- 2019 – Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered (Switch, PS4)
- 2019 – Final Fantasy VII (Switch, Xbox One, Already out on PS4)
- 2019 – Final Fantasy IX (Switch, Xbox One, Already out on PS4)
- 2019 – Final Fantasy X/X2 Remastered (Switch, Xbox One, Already out on PS4)
- 2019 – Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Switch, Xbox One, Already out on PS4)
Source: Square Enix