The fourth major update for Sea of Thieves is now live, with the release of Shrouded Spoils adding new meteorological events, more AI ships, and plenty of new customisation options.
The highlights are:
- Fog that can appear suddenly and cloak all manner of dangers at sea and on land.
- New Merchant Alliance items to find including the explosive Mega-keg, Crate of Ancient Bone Dust and Mermaid Statue Gems.
- More skeleton forts to take on as six new forts become active making nine in total.
- Improved skeleton ships including the addition of a new skeleton sloop, a new ‘Battle of the Devil’s Roar’ skeleton ship skirmish and the addition of roaming skeleton ships who display varying levels of aggression.
- New ship customisations – cannons, wheels and capstans – and the time-limited ‘Wailing Barnacle’ ship and cosmetic set.
- A range of new Pirate Legend Commendations for Athena Levels 1-10.
- More frequent appearances from the Kraken (who’s also learned some new tricks), a range of new Megalodon variants to find and rewards and commendations for defeating these monsters.
Shrouded Spoils looks set to round out 2018 for the game, but Rare announced some of their plans for next year at XO18, including a dedicated PvP mode known as The Arena.